Agnostic.com

7 9

Today's hike: Mighty Mouse fights Devil's Club. Lanham Lake, WA

Karen and I started up Chiwaukum Creek trail. But a massive wildfire in 2015 destroyed the trees. No shade = too hot in July. After about a mile, we turned around. We drove higher to Stevens Pass where it's cooler.

I love hiking to Lanham Lake. In the winter, it's fun on snowshoes. (Watch for avalanche danger.) The trail is short (3.2 miles round trip) and steep. We gained 1,240 feet in elevation in 1.6 miles. Wildflowers were spectacular in the shady woods. Between the two hikes, we hiked 6.8 miles total.

The trail climbs up a ridge with four long, wickedly steep hills. In two places, I scrambled uphill on hands and feet. Descending, sat down and slid.

Hordes of mosquitoes attacked us at the lake. I wore long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and gloves. Added a bug net from hat to shoulders. My clothes, hat and pack were sprayed with Permethrin insect spray (lasts through six washings.) Thought I was mosquito-proof.

However, on men-style shirts, there's a small gap between the cuff and sleeve, usually with a button. A mosquito sneaked through that gap and stung my arm. Surprising.

Fight with Devil's Club. This time I won.

In one place, Devil's Club (Oplopanax horridum) grew across the trail to rake people and animals with its 1/2-inch, barbed, toxic thorns.

Got a thorn in my thumb. That did it. To protect my hand, I wrapped it in a folded fleece jacket. Sawed off two offending branches with my small folding knife. Felt victorious. At home, I removed the thorn with a sterilized needle and tweezers and sharpened the knife.

Since age seven, I have seen myself as Mighty Mouse.

Photos:

1. Lanham Lake and Big Jim Mountain. Karen and I want to climb Big Jim Mtn.

2. Devil's Club has 1/2" thorns on its leaves, branches, stems and flowers. Hikers hate it. The big leaves are pretty from a distance.

3. Queen's Cup and Miniature Dogwood flowers carpeted the forest floor at lower elevations.

4. Lanham Creek.

5. Extremely rare pink Coral Orchids lit up the woods. Usually they are brown.

LiterateHiker 9 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You ARE Mighty Mouse! Mousette maybe?

@BudFrank

Thank you! I appreciate you.

@LiterateHiker I don’t do nearly as much interesting stuff as you and do t document it nearly as enjoyably

Some more beautiful pics as usual ,such beautiful country, Such fantastic hiking country for a fit hikers like you and Karen , I was on a small hike this week but only got halfway and turn back heat and deer flies were ferorcious

Beautiful photos , this is the place that I want to be right there far away from the chaos .

Do you have a scientific name for Queen's Cup please ?

@Fernapple

Queen's Cup flowers (Clintonia uniflora)

@LiterateHiker Thank you, I will look it up, see if they will grow here.

For those mosquito bites, get some prid . The stuff has been around forever, and it works. Here in Arkansas. the skeeters have registration numbers on their tails. They use Deet as a condiment. . Permethrin will generally stop the ticks, but depending on how tasty your blood is, doesn't always help with skeeters. Thankfully the prid will quickly take the misery out of the bites. Very handy stuff to keep in the day pack first aid kit.

@Wolf041

I am extremely over-reactive to insect bites. Sadly, mosquitoes love me.

Never heard of prid. What is in it?

Benadryl helps stopping the itching and pain.

@LiterateHiker Prid is an old school all.natural drawing salve .instead of trying to get your body to absorb the bite like an antihistamine, it pulls the nasties out through the skin. They don't list insects t bites on the label, but the stuff is the best thing made for them .I usually carry a bunch of small bandaids and put a dab on one and set it over the bite. Itch stops immediately, bite will normally be gone by morning . Really nasty and spider bites can take a tad longer
My kids and I all have massive allergies to skeeter bites. If I get one. It will never absorb no matter how much benadryl. It will just keep getting worse till it goes to infection. I used to have to lance the things, but Prid stops that unpleasantness. Around here they sell it at the logging supplies and farm stores, Wally world used to have it.

Good to know on both the Prid and permethrin ,

I keep that stuff on hand always, it draws a lot out!

@RoyMillar very handy stuff. One little tin usually lasts over a year. It takes very little of it to work.

Very cool 😎😎

bobwjr Level 10 July 9, 2020

Devil's club, salve made from it I've heard is good for arthritis.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:513625
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.