Agnostic.com

9 4

Were you thought about human evolution in school?
[theatlantic.com]

dermot235 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up in the deep South, where the majority of people are Southern Baptist. I only heard mention of evolution in school and what little I was taught was not really evolution at all, but church propaganda. When I got into college and started doing some reading and research of my own, I finally began to gain a little understanding of evolution.

Nope we had an inferior xtian national party apartheid syllabus. I read books to educate myself.

No , but wish I had been because I thought I descended from Adam and Eve and was always afraid of apples

lori99 Level 5 July 10, 2020

I remember my mother screaming at my primary school head teacher after I came home and told her human beings were animals just like bunnies.
If I recall correctly the Head teacher told her she was not going to teach her pupils that they were vegitables, no matter how much their parents appeared to be evidence to the contrary.

My schooling was in Alabama in the 50s and 60s and we were taught that humans are animals, subject to evolution like any other.

skado Level 9 July 10, 2020

I had some excellent science teachers. My Biology/Anatomy/Zoology teacher through high school was an open atheist. He retired and joined the Peace Corp to work on a Galapagos project related to the evolution of some of the native species there. He very passionately and thoroughly taught the real deal.

You lucky Duck. I had the christian brothers. lol

@dermot235 I'm so sorry... though it seems your self teaching methods are rather effective.

@Amzungu Why thank you Tiffany.

I went to a catholic school and we were given about a 1 hour brief explanation of evolution and that was it. It was about 40 minutes longer than our Sex ed. lol

Yes. None of that intelligent design bullshit. That's disgraceful.

barjoe Level 9 July 10, 2020

So you escaped a Bible Belt education then. lol

@dermot235 went to school Philly 60s 70s. It's public school. You want to teach you kids that nonsense, send them to some stupid church school.

@barjoe Back when the US respected science I guess

What makes human evolution different than evolution of any other organism. We are just another bioligical organism and subject to the same evolutionary laws. We are just ethnocentric enough to assume we are not. Our advanced abstract thinking ability does not preclude us to the laws of evolution. Geologic time is long, as a species we are young. We have already made our species evolutionarily unfit and evolution will have the last word.

t1nick Level 8 July 10, 2020

It would be nice if people were taught about human evolution. A lot of people think we evolved from Chimpanzees, wihich is wrong. Some think we evolved from Neanderthal which is also wrong. Maybe if we were given more detail about human evolution, more people would believe in it

@dermot235

I teach high school and college evolution

@t1nick Cool. Then you know where I'm coming from

@dermot235 An ape?

@barjoe ??

@dermot235 you said "you know where I'm coming from" we all come from the apes. It was an ironic subtly. No offense intended

@barjoe

Not exactly We evolved contemporaneously parallel to the apes, not from. We share a common ancestor that was neither ape nor human.

@t1nick The missing link. You're probably a great teacher.

@barjoe No offence taken

@barjoe, @t1nick YES. The tree of evolution. We are on one branch. The Chimpanzee is on another branch, The gorilla on another branch and we all have a common ancestor if you go back far enough

@dermot235

That's a little too dismissive of the process. Everything is made of atoms so we are related to everything.

@t1nick Agreed. It's more complicated than a reply on Agnostic.com can handle. lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:514160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.