Agnostic.com

3 5

The woke sheep explained.

AravindAjith 6 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have always found it repulsive the way religion gets a pass on the otherwise unacceptable and is allowed special pleading where no other institution would

Sad but true. I have several progressive friends who somehow tolerate crap from Islam that they would NEVER tolerate from their contemporaries.

I wonder sometimes if this cultural relativism isn't just another form of bigotry? Is it more bigoted to expect others to meet our cultural norms, or is it more bigoted to assume that they don't have the awareness to do so?

People trying to prove how accepting they are. I can criticize Xianity all day long, if I say anything against Islam, I get attacked and my remark gets reported on this site. What's with that?

barjoe Level 9 July 12, 2020

Islam is the new Sacred Cow (now let's hope I don't get scolded for making a Hindu reference. Whatever. It's a useful metaphor.)

I think that it stems from an uncomfortable realization that, while there are plenty of things to hate about Islam, it's a very fine line between anti-Islam and anti-foreign-people-who-aren't-like-us.

@AmyTheBruce That is something I cannot understand. People pretending to be secular. In India, an actress, swara Bhaskar vehemently opposed anti-woman ideas in Hinduism but never spoke a word about the oppression of women in Islam, saying that it is their culture. When the government banned the triple talaq, She opposed the government's move. Sadly, a great number of feminists are hypocrites saying things just for publicity.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:514723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.