Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK The African continent is very slowly peeling apart. Scientists say a new ocean is being born.

"The African continent’s tectonic fate has been studied for several decades, but new satellite measurements are helping scientists better understand the transition and are offering valuable tools to study the gradual birth of a new ocean in one of the most geologically unique spots on the planet."

“This is the only place on Earth where you can study how continental rift becomes an oceanic rift,” said Christopher Moore, a Ph.D. doctoral student at the University of Leeds in the United Kingdom, who has been using satellite radar to monitor volcanic activity in East Africa that is associated with the continent’s breakup.

Amzungu 8 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it was in 1983, I was travelling to Molo, in the highlands on the western side of the rift valley. About 5 miles after I had turned off the main Nakuru to Eldoret toad towards Njoro we had to stop because there was a 10 foot wide chasm running right across the road. I went to the edge of the rift and looked down, but could see no bottom. I then dropped a largish stone into the rift and listened to it bouncing off the edges as the sound gradually faded away with no indication of the depth.
The rift extended on both sides as far as the eye could see. (It was later confirmed to be some 20 miles long.) We went back to the main road and detoured to an alternative road, about 40 miles to the North.
This incident carries a humourous anecdote. Two large barriers of earth were built across road, just short of the chasm. A sensible precaution.
However, the people who had been ordered to build them, put them both on the same side of the chasm. Ah well....!

Petter Level 9 July 19, 2020

I LOVE Geology! Fascinating stuff

(Is it too early to buy property for an ocean-side resort?) 🙂

Perhaps, a bit too early, yes. 🙂

30 million year long term investment

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.