Agnostic.com

6 0

How religious is the area where you live?

I am curious about the places where you live. Are you in a very religious community or an areligoius one. Choose the description below that best describes religion in your area and leave a comment for better explanation.

How much religion do you live around?

• 1 vote
  • 5 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 6 votes
JeffLemar 5 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Feels like the bible belt" this option seems odd to me. If you are refering to biblical religion then you would be talking about helping widows and orphans in need while avoiding worldly corruption. On the other hand I have yet to understand why anyone would refer to anything else as being religious. I can understand words can have more than one definition, but it is equivocation fallacy to use such ambiguous terms in such a confusing way.

Religion... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

Word Level 8 July 19, 2020

There are lots of religious people around me, but most of them seem to do it out of force of habit, like it's a part of their identity that they kinda take for granted, but don't give much thought to.

Or maybe they give it a lot of thought, talk about it often, and I just tune it out? I suppose that's possible...I wouldn't know what I don't notice, right?

In much of the UK it is considered bad manners to discuss religion unless invited to do so.
There is actually an old maxim, "never discuss sex politics or religion in polite society"

Seems like that is all we argue about here.

We have 3 churches on the island. One is very liberal, run by a woman deacon and their large assembly room is often used for non-religious community events. Religion is hardly ever mentioned and when announcing one is an atheist most barely bat an eye. There is a small 7th Day Adventist group here but they are intertwined in the community and my Dentist is one and she is great. There is also a very tiny Church of Christ group here and until recently have been in the shadows. One woman flipped (she feels about us as some of us feel about living in the bible belt)and used her truck (a red hummer) to run over some BLM signs we have all over the place. Here is a link to the some of the signs she ran over (they were replaced by volunteers). She also spray painted some people who tried to stop her. She will have to go to trial for this. These nutballs will not be tolerated here.
[sanjuanjournal.com]

I've been to the San Juan Islands only once, for a couple of nights on Lopez Island. Aside from the beauty, I did notice a subtle shift in culture. Kind of a polite reticence, and an economy of speech. Or maybe I just smelled funny, and people avoided me 😁. I suppose either is possible.

I must say, (based on my VERY brief experience,) the red Hummer seems out of place. I would be embarrassed to drive such a thing there (or anywhere, really, but especially on a peaceful island.)

@AmyTheBruce It sticks out like a sore thumb and everyone knows what it's about. The owner is a guy in his early 70's who established a business selling detail items for models. This is his business address but his wife hates it here and she finally snapped. Being as we are most don't pay any attention to the monstrosity.

I live in rural northern New York, and it's pretty heavily saturated with religious people. People from outside the area have commented to me that they're surprised by how many churches there are here, especially considering how low the population is. But, despite that, I can talk with people and rarely have the topic of religion come up. It's much more pervasive within my own family, really, with cousins or aunts and uncles wanting to debate and convert me.

Philadelphia. Most of the religious nuts here are Roman Catholic.

barjoe Level 9 July 19, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.