Agnostic.com

10 2

Just out of curiosity , as this is an agnostic group , why do we waste so much time discussing religion ?

Cast1es 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wibble

Ask a stupid question get a ...

If we didn't discuss it, we would never get rid of religion. Religion when it comes up against something it can't explain, it reaches out in a desperate attempt to clarify, by bringing in the God of the Gaps. This is not clarifying, it is the opposite. If all the world was ruled by one religion with its lack of trying to see reality, it would destroy constructive purpose and in doing so would destroy intelligent life. Intelligent life needs constructive purpose, purpose is the food it feeds on. We must never stop talking about religion until it has been vanquished into the pages of history.

dinoid Level 5 July 25, 2020

Trolls constantly attempt to draw us into discussions that require we posit a gawd in order to discuss the topic....pathetic, but endless scope for snarkiness.....

Religion is based on fear and to control the people. It's so ridiculous, it's good for some belly laughs. Maybe we can laugh most of it out of existence with funny logic.

Can respect Religion because most people are religious and 80% consciousness is truly what leads the people. I respect all people, just don't like the odd one. Religion and politics are not our true leaders, so power to the people.
As long as I live, I will not ever understand Religion.

1. Its the one uniting thing we have in common.
  2. A lot of people have been hurt by religion, and this site offers the hope of heeling. (New members especially deserve patience.)
  3. A lot of us don't actually, look off the front page into the groups.
  4. Some people need reassurance they are on the right path.
  5. Some people like to hone their debating skills.
  6. If you are a points hog, it gets you lots.

Personally I prefer to discuss what is going on in our gardens or the novels we're reading. But I admit to having a long standing fascination with why/how god belief first emerged and how that might have shaped what we've become. I assume before we had human consciousness there was a progenitor whose consciousness was much more like my dog's consciousness that it was like mine. So it is all part of wondering how we got this way. That reminds me though that our pets is another topic I would often rather discuss.

MarkWD Level 7 July 24, 2020

And not the joys of being free FROM religion? Good question.
As an agnostic myself, my theory is so many here, usually 'hard' atheists who proactively claim a belief god WITHOUT QUESTION does not exist, are so bitter about their extremely negative personal experience (say, at the hands of a domineering parent or other authority figure) they feel compelled to violently react to any evidence of religious overreach.
I certainly understand. Plus, it IS true the overreach itself is so blatantly destructive to what used to be a largely secular society, it's hard not to feel seething resentment, especially toward the religious leaders using blind faith to accumulate personal power and riches, and political figures who are using it to accomplish ideological and political dominance.
I DO wish, however, there was more emphasis on the freedom itself, and it's power to transform perspective about life. The knowledge one's consciousness is not beholden to fear of a vengeful god, to whose petty whims we must devote every second of every hour of our lives, allows us to expand our awareness of what we are REALLY all about, what our lives REALLY represent, what existence REALLY is.
But these 'hard' atheists are instead fatalistic nihilists who think life is a meaningless, depressing slog, and the best we can do is lash out at those of us who think, god or no god, life is a 'magical' journey of enlightenment.
So be it. There's room for that too. It's just too bad those of us who wish to elevate our 'human natures' to something more optimistic and forward-thinking can't hold our own in the face of this onslaught of doom-and-gloom negativity.
This would give people new to the site, also, a positive alternative to the religions they seek to escape, rather than simply caustic outbursts condemning them, a mirror anti-image to that which they wish to abandon.
I for one, as an agnostic, realize I'll probably never have all the answers. Religion (and anti-religion) is an illusion of that. I DO know knowing there is a limit to what human beings are capable of knowing is in itself more knowledge than many people will ever possess (got that?), and that I can USE that wisdom to liberate myself into a world of discovery.
Maybe this site will eventually evolve and mature. I have a feeling for that to happen, however, our society and culture, indeed entire planet, will have to evolve first.
Meanwhile, you and I individually can think and express what we wish.

Religion is insane and funny, it is amazing to hear and see the overwhelming stupidity of those who believe.

Besides, it helps those who are coming out of indoctrination.

Without down, up has no meaning.

skado Level 9 July 24, 2020

I assume that it's because religion has such an effect on society in general. In the US, anyway, religion is pervasive. People like to talk about that which effects them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518278
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.