Agnostic.com

5 4

Marshae Was Pregnant When She Was Shot. She Tragically Miscarried, So They Charged HER With Manslaughter.

In the winter of 2018, Marshae Jones was living through a nightmare. She had been shot in the stomach. She was five months pregnant at the time, and miscarried. The woman who shot her was let go without any consequences. And then, Marshae was charged with manslaughter for losing her own pregnancy.

Marshae was the victim of a crime. But the state of Alabama, where this violence took place, was more willing to see her as simply a vessel, a human incubator, whose only role was to keep her unborn baby alive. Even though someone else was responsible for her miscarriage, she was deemed a criminal for it.

Because of these laws, people have been charged with manslaughter after losing their pregnancy in car accidents and after suicide attempts -- or even after miscarrying when no causative event has taken place (miscarriages are incredibly common).

The following 38 states have some form of fetal homicide law: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Sign Petition / Full Article: [thepetitionsite.com]

nogod4me 8 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The states that charge women who miscarry with homicide should be charged with a federal crime.

It seems that U.S. states are committing Crimes Against Humanity in too many instances when women have miscarriages, many of whom proportionally are poor women of color..

This seems to be a fascist civil war against women across America. It resembles the crimes of both the Franco regime and Mussolini regime. The more people thrown into prisons, the better for corporatist nationalist regimes. Dissent is under control that way, and poor people are kept down, incapable of revolution against increased injustice. Imprisonment and disappearance are the crimes fascists will do against us, if given the chance.

WTF? "Sweet Home Alabama?" I'm stunned that there weren't attorneys lined up to represent her pro bono!

Backwards religious beliefs

bobwjr Level 10 July 24, 2020

I've lobbied against those laws several times. I still find it hard to believe that there's not more to the story than told above.

It seems the charges were eventually dropped. I agree they never should have existed in the 1st place.[cnn.com]

I'm glad NYC isn't in that list!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518304
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.