Agnostic.com

5 8

Death estimates in Australia revised to 3 billion.

"The team of 10 scientists from several universities around the country examined the impact of the fires on mammals, reptiles, birds and frogs.

In each group, millions of animals were killed or displaced:

143 million mammals
2.46 billion reptiles
180 million birds
51 million frogs
To calculate the figures, the researchers estimated the density of animals in in each place the fire went through, and multiplied that by the area burned."

[abc.net.au]

FrayedBear 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And just like so much else this was anthropogenic (we were mostly to blame). Religious or otherwise humans feel we are above natural laws.

Which of course to most people means nothing, since religion tell them animals have no souls and are only there for man's use and so matter not at all.
Thanks religion

How tragic...such a great loss.

That is so incredibly sad. It really brought tears to my eyes.

It is a threefold increase on what was originally thought to be the extent of the disaster and really only covers a relatively small but fertile areas.
Very upsetting but all part of the current pandemic of greed & stupidity enveloping the world.

What a shame. I know Australia did everything they possible could, but its still a shame.

t1nick Level 8 July 28, 2020

No. A lot more could have been done to remove the build up of ground fuel.

@FrayedBear

Same with our National Forests

@t1nick it was bad in California last year wasn't it? A lot of that was eucalypt forests?

@FrayedBear As far as I know, eucalyptus isn't native to California. More likely some kind of pine for the most part.

@FrayedBear Regarding ground fuel, there's another possible way to deal with it, although I'm not sure anyone else has thought of it, much less tested it. The other way to deal with it is to make sure it stays hydrated enough to rot. This might be accomplished with solar-powered atmospheric water generators. It would of course take a vast network of such units.

Another approach would be to cut a network of canals where needed, which should raise humidity levels and at least help.

@bingst About 20 years ago I suggested that simple cheap to produce bilge pumps shift about one ton of water per hour. Conected to their own solar panel and a mistdiffuser beds containing millions of the units strategically placed in the sea should be able to produce rainclouds to lift rainfall & humidity over large areas. This is a very dry country, average humidity from memory being less than ten percent.

@bingst on the canals: lol laughter there was a huge network round here (W. Victoria). Most have just been filled in because they have extended the pipelines.

@bingst Eucalypts - I thought they had extensively planted Australian Eucalypts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.