Agnostic.com

5 3

The murky racial history of Puerto Rico exposed to the light by science - [blog.nationalgeographic.org]

Allamanda 8 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not surprising unfortunately

bobwjr Level 10 July 30, 2020

Shocking...but unsurprising nevertheless. The more we learn about how the European colonisers treated the native populaces, not just in the Americas and the Caribbean, but everywhere they went, the less we should feel pride in our countries’ past history. This genetic analysis in Puerto Rico just confirms without doubt how ruthlessly the native males were eliminated, and the genetic makeup of the island changed thereof.

Interesting science. The genocide of Male populations in tribal and political conflict is something that unfortunately is very common. It seems to be part of the barbaric side of human nature. As recently as the 1990's we saw this play out in the former Yugoslavia.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Yes...we really have not progressed much over the centuries.

It seems women were the spoils.

I grew up and still am friends with a bunch of Puerto Ricans. Some are Hispanic white, some African, some "brown" people. All of them have one thing in common. They're natural born Americans. My one friend Tony been in Philly 40 years but still has a strong accent. He gets accused of being illegal by stupid white people. I get pissed off. He laughs.

barjoe Level 9 July 29, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519908
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.