Agnostic.com

8 3

Has social media turned us into attention seekers?

This is a bit of irony I suppose that I am asking this question on a social media site. What I have realized over time is that social media has an addictive quality. When a post is created, people get to read it and of course like or respond to that post. The more likes or responses a post gets has a cumulative positive affect that is in essence the source of the addiction.

Ask yourself this question. How often do you check your social media feeds? Do you create posts of your own? Do you followup and check your posts to see who has liked it and who may have added his/her response to your posts? If your answer to the last two questions is yes and your answer to the first question is a double digit number, then you may very well be addicted to social media.

Trust me is sobering to think this may be you. I've actually realized that I myself have a bad habit of checking my posts. As an author, I suppose that is where I like to see my responses. My fans if you will reading my novels and enjoying the work is also addicting. So for me I already know I am an attention seeker.

Thoughts welcome.

ChrisJones 6 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think people are any different in wanting attention. I believe between social media and so-called reality television there is more opportunity for getting attention.

Absobloodylutely !!!

I used to be that way. After a while I realized that I'm really bad at social media cause I never got much attention LOL. I find that much of social media is just superficial and fake. I don't really have much of an online presence anymore.

No, doesn't happen to me (be sure to like this comment).

Honestly, I just moved my notification from here to once a day. I'll check if I'm online, but I try not to be that much.

I've always been an attention seeker, though hopefully not abrasively so. My problem now is that since I'm divorced and retired, social media IS my social life. (Well, not completely, but mostly.) Just ask my dogs.

It's individual.. I have months off sometimes. I won't have FB or any apps on phone. Won't leave messenger signed in. Ignore it ayway lol. I just don't let it in too far. It is truly addictive. Exact same brain pattern response as cocaine 🙂 It's good to share.. It's only attention seeking if you are using false motives... You aren't using false motivesin this post 😉

I turned off some of my notifications for this site because I didn't like how obsessed I had become with how many "likes" I was getting. I tend to binge on stuff when it's new and lose interest over time, so I'm not terribly concerned; my fixation on this site has cooled considerably.

I've never craved attention, online or anywhere else. I hate attention IRL. Online attention is tolerable, but I don't seek it.

I've only had a phone smart enough to go online since December; in another six months or so I'll probably be totally over my online addictions. I'm a fickle beast.

In real life I'm not an attemtion seeker. I dress only in clothing I'm confortable in. On social media, mostly on here, it is hard not to check your comments/likes notis. I woke up to 50 notis today.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.