Agnostic.com

4 1

Snowflake disease is spreading or simply another C19 pandemic symptom?

I was recently reminded that on Monday I had to point out to a women whingeing that her staff were not being respected that respect is earned not automatically given. And in her employees cases, inferior & frequently injurious & ignorant behaviour is not going to garner respect.

If someone offers advice to you because they know more efficient ways of accomplishing a task it is not an insult nor a reflection on your stupidity - stupidity becomes self evident when you do not implement the suggestion. A reflection on your training & education yes.

Furthermore a simple thank you to the advisor prevents you from further having your standing & reputation from being devalued by the advisor.

Do I automatically take advice given to be a reflection of my stupidity?

• 2 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 2 votes
FrayedBear 9 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dammit, Iā€™m a contrarian!

This seems to be a vent post disguised as a poll.

Agree.

And your problem if it is?
If it was about a tax rise that cost you & you disagree eith would it still be a "vent"?

The responses I hate when pointing out or implementing a more efficient way of doing something that saves time and effort is
A) But this is how we have always done it
or worse
B) There is no right way or wrong way of doing something and this is my way.

When I was a office manager this was the point I had to put on the managers head and reply, "Well that is not the way we are going to do it here now."
I've had people try to go over my head or even resign rather than accept an improved method, some times over something as simple as using the tabs key instead of tapping away at the space bar

I always remember the day that my father came home and announced that it was cheaper to throw a pencil away than resharpen it. That was sometime in the 1960's. I'm sure that he would have got a lot of backlash on that. Pencil sharpeners & wooden pencils of incredibly poor quality are still sold as well as the propelling pencils.
My favourite pencil efficiency was the one of their use in space. The Americans reportedly spent millions inventing a pen that will write in the gravity less environment of a space ship. The Russians spent nothing and used pencils!

@FrayedBear It's a funny story, but is utterly made up propaganda, used by those who attempted to defund NASA in the 1970s in order to divert funds elsewhere.
Patrick J. Frawley had invented a pen with a collapsible vacuum sealed delivery cartridge in 1941 that delivered instantly drying ink via an airtight ball point nib, that he supplied to NASA throughout the 50's to the 80's and to the to this day for earth bound training and zero gravity flights, his company is called PaperMate.
Paul C. Fisher, founder of Fisher Pen Company independently and without government funding made minor improvements and his model was the one actually used in space throughout the Mercury and apollo missions, Nasa only ever bought 600 of them and are still using them today, though most writing in space is now digital, done on computers transmitted and printed on earth.
It is true the Russian used propelling pencils (with extra thick 3 or 4b graphite sticks, known as greasies, to avoid sapping), but never used actual wooden pencils as the shavings and ground graphite waste in zero gravity where a potential threat to instrumentation.
As of the 1980s a few of Fisher's space pens were sold to The Soviet Union in bulk for use its Soyuz spaceflights, but today the Russians use a reverse engineered version of their own making when not typing on computers.

@LenHazell53 thanks for the correction Len. The story that I read obviously appealed to my "stick it to the yanks streak" hence why it has remained in memory. I obviously couldn't be bothered verifying the information which was probably read pre internet.

@LenHazell53 And all the more poignant now learning that was more American originated stupidity.

My considering that advice and subsequently going in a different direction isn't necessarily a reflection of my stupidity either.

If failng to take the advice exposes you to $100,000 fine & or jail what do you call it?

@FrayedBear I'm referring to a hypothetical. You're getting specific. Stupidity would be to dismiss the advice without consideration. Choosing a different direction after careful thought is just a difference in philosophy.

@barjoe I agree with your consideration comment. Anyone can philosophise to their hearts content but if the law says otherwise you are advised to follow the law unless your course of action is going to change the law.

@FrayedBear I keep rereading the post and fail to see where it informs that this advice was of a legal nature. Of course when we're required to do things by law that limits our options if we aspire to adhere to the law.

@barjoe šŸ¤£ here in this land of criminals there are millions who think themselves above the law.

If advice is given and it must be compared with other alternatives using reason and logic, and if you are stupid you will choose a less efficient, less productive option for a purely selfish reason.
If you are logical and reasonable you will choose the option with the most efficient outcome .
The ONLY exceptions are when the most logical choice violates a legal requirement or when there is a moral consideration.

@barjoe, @LenHazell53 it doesnt. It is about how people react these days to being given advice. If you are a man your advice is usually derogatorily dismissed as mansplaining even though the advice has not been previously thought of otherwise it would be in operation. Alternatively there is the "your advice is insulting/disrespecting me" .

@FrayedBear
So True sadly.
Use of the word Mansplaining is simply a sign to stop talking to your interlocutor who is obviously an idiot, and claiming that second phrase shows that the interlocutor has a poor vocabulary and does not understand the words "correcting" or the term "constructive criticism" and again they are an idiot and as you say a Snowflake. And so are also not worth engaging with.

@FrayedBear If I have two proposals to choose from. Both are credible proposals. One is from someone who's easy to work with, the other from a disagreeable but smart person. I'll dismiss the latter out of spite.

@barjoe lol.

@barjoe That puts me in mind of the old maxim
A cynic is the name given to a realist by an idealist who would rather suffer than admit he is obviously wrong

@LenHazell53 I'm a cynic, realist and idealist. They're not mutually exclusive.

@barjoe If you say so, but from your posts I would judge you to be one of the least cynical people I have ever encountered, perhaps too nice for your own good.
I mean that as a compliment by the way

@LenHazell53 Cynical is not a bad thing.

@barjoe All three? Tri-polar? (evil grin)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.