Agnostic.com

6 11

A lifelong Republican teacher turns on Trump.

Good news!

"Nancy Shively is a longtime Republican and a special education teacher in a small town just outside Tulsa, Oklahoma, who works primarily with second and third graders—at least, she was those things, until recently. After watching how the Trump administration botched the coronavirus response, and how poorly both her state and the national government prepared for the school year, she switched her party registration and announced her resignation from her school district."

In an interview, Nancy Shively said:

"In 2018, we had a teacher walkout in Oklahoma, which is kind of our version of a strike.

"I went down to the state Capitol some of those days and watched Republican legislators from my district literally hiding from the teachers because they didn’t want to talk to us.

"On the other hand, the Democratic legislators were perfectly happy to talk to us and gave us some really good advice.

"I’m watching these guys and I’m like, this is not the Republican Party I grew up with. I rationalized to myself that I could stay in the party and cause trouble that way. But when the virus hit and people were actually dying and President Donald Trump was doing nothing, I thought, I cannot stay in this party anymore.

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First - thank you for posting the relevant text! Next.. I can relate to what public school teachers are now experiencing, and am so glad I’m no longer in that realm. Miss the kiddos ..but not the political dodgeball… And good for her. I’d begun as a republican, too, then grew up.

Varn Level 8 Aug 6, 2020

@Varn

You're welcome.

Glad you realized the Republican Party is not for you. Bravo!

Hopefully the tide is turning. People are getting a reality check

So Happy to hear this starting to Happen ,bravo for her

She finally saw the light and started her own journey of enlightenment.

Good for her

They are starting to see the light. Perhaps more will follow.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.