Agnostic.com

1 1

What does wisdom mean to you? As you get older, do you feel wiser? Here is a conversation to spark thought in this area by two brilliant, thoughtful men who have thought a lot about the subject. Let me know what you think.

Consciousness, Wisdom, and Meditation Roger Walsh, Professor of Psychiatry and Philosophy at UC Irvine, and Robert Lawrence Kuhn, Host of "Closer To Truth", talk consciousness, the search for wisdom, the science of meditation, the mystery of the universe and reality, and the merging of Eastern and Western philosophy.

[agnostic.com]

Earthling50 6 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You should have included a woman.
Do I feel wiser? I'll assume that's not a rhetorical question.
Yes, but only in this way:
I've had lots of experiences, many of them less than great. Some great.
As I look back on it now, I know none of it mattered much. The experiences of the next 10-30 years won't matter much either.
This is a comfort to me.
In youth, we think it does matter...a lot. It causes no end of stress and strife.
Now, it's a relief someday soon it'll be over...that's wisdom to me.

There are many wise women in the world!
... what woman would you have included to cover the topic?
I could be wrong but from what you said, it doesn't sound like you are really enjoying your life or the experience of it ("it's a relief someday soon it'll be over🙂. Yes, it will be over for all of us but in the time we have; don't you think its important to experience all that which makes us feel alive; happy and at peace?

@Earthling50 I'd like to hear more from Megan Fox, for one. In general, I think extremely beautiful women have a unique perspective. Am I joking? Okay, how about extremely ugly women? It might be shocking to find out they have a lot in common!
To further generalize, I don't think any given experience, or one individual life, matters, because it's all part of the learning process. It all gets sorted out in the end. So all spiritual activities are a part of that, the theory goes, but it's 'predetermined' only in that sense--if you want to be philosophical about it. I'm stoic myself.
Being an agnostic, I personally choose to lean that way.
But in a larger sense, to take MY Life seriously is the opposite of wisdom. I DO, of course, but that's genetic... knowing--or thinking, suspecting--it's all going to all happen anyway regardless of what we think--puts the mind at ease.

@Storm1752 I doubt if the universe cares what any of us think or how we live our lives which means that we are each responsible for only for our selves. If a person wants to consciously fill it with rules or an attitude that leads to flat affect, the outcome is predictable. The nice thing is that we have options so why not go for the best rather than the mediocre?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522500
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.