Agnostic.com

3 0

Question on "In God We Trust"?

Should the motto "In God We Trust" not be featured on American dollars and coinage? Why or why not?

Hages 7 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In God We Trust should not be on our money. That being said, it brings up one of my favorite bars from back in the day. They were and still are cash only and still have the following sign. IN GOD WE TRUST. ALL OTHERS MUST PAY CASH

It should read: In THIS GOD we trust.

""Take man's most fantastic invention - God."/

Although I don't really care whether the slogan is plastered on our money, it's a mild violation of of the non-establishment clause of the First Amendment by officially declaring that we're a monotheistic country. At the same time, though, having a reference to God on money is amusing to me, because in a majority-Christian nation it disregards the objections Jesus is purported to have had against wealth and the pursuit thereof. "Render unto Caesar what is Ceasar's, and unto God what is God's" gets a bit muddled, it seems, and the hypocrisy tickles me.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.