Agnostic.com

1 0

Here's a book review I wrote in 2012 about a friend of mine's book, Golden Rule or Greedy Rule. As I reread it I'm reminded of Le Mal de Siecle by the French romanticist Francois Rene Chateaubriand -- same problems only two centuries ago. Same problem: If people just lived by the Golden Rule we wouldn't need the Ten Commandments.

From Amazon: It doesn't take much thinking to determine that the United States of America has deep and serious problems: inner-city street gangs, over two-million in prisons, kids dropping out of high school, unwed teenage mothers, self-alienated people with no connection to history, uncountable illegal aliens, unbearable traffic, road rage, semiliterate high school graduates, rampant venereal disease, hate crimes, indigenous species like beavers and buffalo driven to the brink of extinction, national parks neglected and vandalized, attention deficit disorder due to video games and television, and worst of all--perpetual war.

[amazon.com]

Aristippus 6 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually I do not think that you could live by the golden rule and obey the ten commandments.

But how can 'unwed' fit the list, since if we lived by the golden rule as you say, we would not need marriage laws any more than the ten commandments.

Lets change the word "unwed" with its legal sense to "uncommitted" meaning without the commitment to stick around to raise children.

Let me ask you, throughout history from Christ on, how much guidance and morality did the Ten Commandments provide? I think history shows that humans are pretty sick.

@Aristippus The ten commandments are not really that concerned with morals, mostly they are about strengthening the power of the religious establishment. And if the story is to be believed, (Big if.) then the Jesus person died, mainly at the request of the religious establishment, because he challenged the commandments. Certainly he challenged keeping the Sabath, respecting parents, etc. directly.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524004
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.