Agnostic.com

10 4

Anti-vaxxers are emotionally and intellectually stunted. What do you think? They rely upon illogical fears as opposed to logic and reason.

t1nick 8 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the anti-vaxxers have been brainwashed by misinformation. What puzzles me is that most of disinformation fueling the anti-vax movement has come from Russia, yet Russia is claiming to be the first to have a vaccine ready to go.

Now, I'm all for truly tested vaccines, but I'd be skeptical if we are suddenly being forced or tricked into buying a vaccine from Russia.

I'm good with waiting until we have a duly tested vaccine and until then I'm keeping myself safe and glad I live in an area where social distancing is practiced and enforced.

I do have several anti-vaxxer friends, who n the past have been very vocal against vaccines, however with the covid-19 vaccine they are more gentle, by saying they're glad for the hope of a vaccine, but they won't be letting anyone stick them or their children's bodies with it. And that's fine, if enough people do get vaccinated, as long as they don't work tirelessly in talking others not to get vaccinated when we get a safe and proven vaccine. I think seeing the shutdown of our economy has changed their tune a little.

I understand your point. But here is the problem. If enough choose to opt out of the vaccine, it will take four years to reach herd immunity according to latest estimates. We need about 75% vaccination participation to reach herd immunity.

Anti vaxxers are only human and scared. It’s not easy for everyone to research data, and once you throw your lot in with an idea like that they send more misinformation designed to make their case sound more plausible.
I tanked at science at school, (had to do biology),and find it amusing that some vaccines sound a bit like some, ‘natural therapies’ that the world dispels as crazy. But there we have it. Placebos and curses can work...if you believe.

Our society has gone to pot. People believe anything these days if it sounds like The Man is trying to get one over on them. These people see everything as a coverup and with ill intent.

Some, like my relatives, fundamentalist xians, are delusional. Yes, they fear imaginary things, but they are not entirely illogical or without reason.

I do not wish to speak out against your relatives, that would not be nice or fair. But delusional sounds a whole lot like illogic to me. Alternative facts do not count.

@t1nick Yes illogical about some things, but logical about others. Perhaps it's better to say, "not always illogical or without reason."

Well there is a glaringly obvious similarity between believing in conspiracy theories and vaccination scares and believing in the bible. Both need gullibility and suspension of logic and reason.

Stunted and mislead

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 13, 2020

They are misinformed. There was a Dr Wakefield from UK. He made up this "study", totally fabricated, that told of a correlation to the introduction of MMR vaccine and rises in Autism cases. During the 70s the diagnosis for Autism got painted with a broad brush, with many related disorders. Back when MMR was released in 60s There was Profound Autism. "Mildly Retarded" would now be a form of Autism. Many kids who weren't diagnosed with anything are now "on the spectrum" The two had nothing to do with each other. Because if Dr Wakefield, measles has made a comeback. Back then people believed it, but it's since been refuted. The problem is, you can't tell these ignorant folks anything. They believe what they want to believe.

I'm familiar with the study, but it has been openly and plainly refuted, but they refuse to let it go. Anti-vaxxers and QAnon are just a symptom of a quickly growing sick society in this country today. Hide your head in the sand, plug your ears, and everything will be "alright".

@t1nick @barjoe. Even though he’s been exposed as a complete fraud and struck off the medical register in the U.K., his coterie of followers, mostly middle class American women, are still peddling his dangerous nonsense on the Internet.

@Marionville

Unfortunately

I agree but I won't be getting any covid vaccine until its proven safe and effective.. I'll self isolate until then..

I have to return to the classroom in February or March. i'm willing to take the chance as long as it doesn't feel like short cuts are being taken to hurry it to market to bolster trump's election chances.

Second that! I fear Trump will bribe a company to release a miracle vaccine before the election, not distribute it, and say after the election that it wasn't safe after all.

@CutieBeauty Agreed! I won’t put anything in my body that’s been rushed to market. There could be long-term consequences that aren’t known at first.

They are sheep, following their leader. Ignorant morons with no moral compass.

the illogical business seems to be going around. I think it's one of those always has always will things.

Its definitely an undercurrent in society. I think its due to Evangelicalism and the fears that they bring with them.

@t1nick illogical Behavior is a much more inclusive phenomenon than simply something coming from one section of a society. evangelicals are kind of easy prey, or ready-made companions for the anti vaxxer arguments. of course many anti-vaxxers are evangelicals, but many more evangelicals are not anti vaxxer folks. I know of several who are praying for a vaccine.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524228
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.