Agnostic.com

5 3

Its heartbreaking sometimes to take a stand.

thinkwithme 7 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No undertaking is without a certain amount of danger, but it also comes with great rewards or disappointments. I just tend to go with either lead follow or get the hell out of the way. I wish you well in

If you're taking a stand, good over bad, isn't it also heartwarming? You are showing care for yourself and/or others, over something oppressive, correct?

Sorry if I don't fully understand your statement, perhaps more information would be helpful if you are hoping for comments and solution.

Absolutely right. I have taken stands most of my life, and sometimes it's been heartbreaking; like when my partner didn't support my activist tendencies or when my parents saw another future for me, and one which i did not share.

But taking a stand can also have instrumental, life changing consequences which may not be heartbreaking, which might have life-changing consequences. For example when i worked for a major newspaper which fundamentally disagreed with my views and outside activities.

On the latter, i decided that it made more sense to me to move on than to fight with them even if my lawyer said that i could easily win an arbitration; a 6 figure income was not enough to keep me working in a toxic environment.

Some fundamental principles are not negotiable in my life. Justice, social justice, respect, "do no harm," and my right to be myself as long as i didn't hurt others are among those.

I disagree

certainly, but perhaps better than just doing nothing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525351
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.