Agnostic.com

3 3

Anyone here planning or actively working on sustainable practices?

I’m in process of looking for some land to purchase. Part of my plan is to have this property be as self sustainable as possible. I’m considering everything from using wind, solar, and geothermal power. Local water sourcing, and heating/cooling options.

I realize this is a bit left of field for this site, but I figure it is worth a try. I’m obviously doing some independent research on these topics as well.

SteveB 7 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

honestly i think its a reasonable, logical progression. Once the gods of religion are dead, next are the governors, leaving people sovereign on their own land, ideally leaving a light state of technology and the honest trade of information that provides personal strength, as from an actual, real, strong, wise, capable, caring parent to their child, which, you know, also, ideally, exists.

I'm studying environmental science and sustainability in school, have taken a green building and design class and am currently studying to take the LEED Green Associate exam.

The biggest question I have is where you are planning on building, as that will help determine what would be worth your time investing in (no point in putting a turbine where you don't get wind or solar panels where you don't get sun). The next thing you have to think about is cost. Most sustainable technology is going to cost more upfront, but will pay you back in savings eventually (assuming you get a good combo of techs and they are well maintained/work at optimum capacity).

If you want feel free to message me directly! Always makes me happy seeing people who want to build more sustainably!

That's my dream and ultimate goal. I would like an adobe type house that remains cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I want solar and wind power. Xeriscaping, and composting for my own vegetable, fruit, and nut tree garden. In the meantime, I too, do what I can.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.