Agnostic.com

1 1

Sabbath-breaking on the canal. A poem. By the Reverend John Clutton, A.M. Prebendary of Hereford.

I could not resist copying & sharing with you the following snippet from this 1820 poem.

Yon bark, that sails the flowery bank beside,
Contains a soul for which the Saviour died,
Which in the heights of heav’n, or depths of hell,
Is destin’d through eternity to dwell:
The Sabbath smiles; but, bound with Satan’s chain,
On Mammon’s slave the Sabbath smiles in vain:
The bells that utter their melodious chime
Each Sabbath day, at morning’s hour of prime,
Convey no music to the boatman’s ear,
Intent his course towards ruin’s gulph to steer;
Still on the Sacred Day his bark he plies,
Nor stops to worship Him who rules the skies.
Will none commiserate his hapless case,
Nor bid him seek Jehovah’s saving grace?
“In Zion woe to them that are at ease” [2a]
Denounc’d the prophet; who themselves would please.
“The plague, the famine, noisome beasts, the sword,” [2b]
These are the judgments of th’ offended Lord.
Think not the great Jehovah sleeps supine,
Sooner yon radiant orb shall cease to shine:
For broken Sabbaths clouds of wrath will lower,
And who can stay “the thunder of his power?”
But judgment is the Lord’s unwonted deed,
Unwillingly He makes the sinner bleed:
Rev John Clifton, A.M.

[gutenberg.org]
None so righteous as?
I wonder what the Reverend would say about today's pandemic & worship of Mammon?
😁
FrayedBear 9 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What for?

What for what?

@FrayedBear "I could not resist copying & sharing with you the following snippet from this 1820 poem."

@Mofo1953 not everyone is uncultural or without ability to comprehend the irony or day of the week.

@FrayedBear next time resist a little harder, seems by the amount of responses and comments you achieved not very many have the traits you require.

@Mofo1953 Ah the impatience & stupidity of the deficient. The poem has been around for 200 years, you fortunately will not live that long.

@FrayedBear neither will you. That makes you equally deficient and blind to the reality of the unlikability of your poem. Makes you happy to denigrate those who didn't like your pretentious drivel? Reality: only 1 like in a General posting read by most members. Delusional superiority is a bitch.

@Mofo1953 You are delusional. At the time of this there have been9 visitors out of a site membership of tens of thousands. But I now have an enjoyable rejoinder to you-
Here's one for @Mofo1953

Gaslight Pro

Lyrics:

[azlyrics.com]

Video:

I would have preferred the lyrics to be gender neutral and I should point out that the lyrics given in the video are erroneous - it is "Pro" not road - a wonderful gaslight? 😱😀

@FrayedBear projecting now? You do know that visits are tied to how enticing the visible part of the post is. What does that tell you? Mr. Delusional culturally superior to all bear?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.