Agnostic.com

8 6

when I was out doing some yard work today I received a voicemail. the fella said he was with the Social Security Administration and that there was an urgent need for me to call them. I suppose it was coincidental, but I had called them two or three weeks ago regarding a replacement card as I could not find mine, but i eventually did. anyway I returned their call only to find out their call wasn't regarding my request for a new card. it was some kind of scam. very slick too. lots of background noise with people on the phone excetera. the lady who answered, patch me through to an investigator. this person had a very heavy Middle Eastern accent. hint number one. then he wanted to verify who I was in the normal way that any business does. then he gave me a bunch of case numbers and stuff then told me his name was Alex Williams. I thought that name was a little strange for someone with such a strong Middle Eastern accent. hint number 2. then he proceeded to tell me how an abandonded car had been found rented in my name. the FBI had found blood, several kilos of cocaine, and bunch of cash in this abandoned car. he told me the FBI had requested they suspend my social security number. hint number 3. nobody's going to leave that laying around. of course he asked me if I knew anything about it to which I said no. then he proceeded to ask me if I'm going to help the authorities find out who's responsible. he told me that someone had obviously stolen my identity and I might be of some help in tracking down the culprit and if I refused I would be considered a suspect. at this point I have had about enough and was asking him how could I be sure I wasn't being scammed. click. I called the number back immediately only to be told that no investigators we're currently available. I just wanted to put this out there as a general heads up. it was a very slick operation though in terms of the phone system, the background noise, and the threat of the story. be careful y'all if you get any calls from Alex Williams. 202.953.7348.

hankster 9 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Social Security NEVER, EVER calls anyone....!

I get regular ones about my Amazon account. I know they are fake, because I have never had an Amazon account. I am perhaps in the front line, because I run a business, (tiny business) the, "We can upgrade your website and get you more traffic." ones are perhaps the most annoying. The ones that pretend to be from the gas/water/electricity companies the most dangerous. Though I had to laugh a the crude fishing attempt by one I used to get often, who described himself as being from. "Your service provider."

Suspend a Social Security number? I received one of those 2 years ago. A Social Security number cannot be suspended. The very concept is ridiculous.

saw that. researching later. thought it was silly when he said it.

Several years ago, the FBI legitimately called my father looking for my sister because her ex-fiance had skipped parole (long, long story) and they didn't have a record of where she'd moved in the several years since they'd parted ways. So, although it may be unlikely that anyone from a federal office will call, it's not unheard of. Regardless, we exercised caution and replied only because the agent had left enough information to indicate that it was about an actual case we were familiar with, and we didn't volunteer any information without some confirmation first — and, if I recall correctly, we took down his information so we could pass it along to my sister, who merely confirmed that she'd had no contact with her ex. More recently, my father received some communication about changing a Medicare identification number and needing to call the IRS to authorize a change — or something like that — and I thought that sounded like a scam, but it was legitimate (although I chewed my father out for taking action without fully understanding what was being requested, because it could have easily been a scam). My general action when replying to something that I can't easily verify directly is to contact the department indirectly through their public contact information (800 number, website, etc.) and checking the legitimacy of the contact that way, and checking online sources for scam alerts. Fortunately, it hasn't happened often to me where that's been necessary.

I have noticed an uptick in scam calls in the last few days, and posted something on my neighborhood listserve about it. Wouldn't you know I got about 50 replies from people, all saying the same thing. The scammers are more prevalent than ever these days.

Every government agency including the IRS and bank have been screaming out loud for over 10 years that they never call. It has been over 10 years and they have done massive communications on it.

Why did you return the call?

I suppose I wasn't thinking. but in fact I had called them first. so why not call them back.

@hankster
If you did not call back on the nunber that called and you instead called their direct number on a letter or their authentic website, it is ok.

@St-Sinner its ok in any case now. i won't do it again.

@St-Sinner i would like make a simple point, but first i would like to thank you for your concern. I feel like i should also say that by paying attention i saw thru the scam, wasted their time, and told folks here about it. i have certainly been less than wise before and will be again, but not on this occasion. it wasn't really even that close. the scammer lost this one and possibly more because i shared it. lol...being dumb or imprudent can be some pretty decent learning moments.

@hankster
I have made mistakes too. 12 years ago, I clicked on an email link to login into my Yahoo Ads account and was charged $7,000 in fraud within an hour. I got the charges reversed but i learned my lesson. Today, I am on the information security committee at work, Lol

@St-Sinner that's nasty. I can understand your concern.

Thanks

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 26, 2020

lol... after the conversation was over I thought of all the fun I could have had. I kind of like the idea of saying yeah that was mine.

@Green_Soldier71 it's fun to think about. Sure what you're talkin about is wasting their time. They're probably too busy to listen to you for long. You would have to offer them something they could really chew on.

@Green_Soldier71 that's pretty good way to mess with them. Maybe just do that thing where your Mumble a lot. drag it out.

I generally don't answer calls from numbers not in my phone listing(contacts List)...

I understand. but I don't keep numbers from the Social Security Administration in my phone. didn't want to ignore one. and I had called them very recently. and it was a voicemail.

@hankster social security or any other city, state or federal agencies typically don't use the phone to contact people... If it's that important, they will send you a letter...

@Cutiebeauty sure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.