Agnostic.com

7 11

Republicans endorsing Joe Biden today.

Good news! Increasing numbers of Republicans support Joe Biden.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am happy to have their help getting rid of the sociopath. Nothing matters more right now.

Unfortunately, the repubs are taking over the dem party

@Buddha

No, Republicans are endorsing Joe Biden. They are not taking over the Democrat party.

@LiterateHiker there were more conservatives speaking at the convention than progressives

@Buddha The only reason it remains the largest party is that Democrats represent the bulk of the nation. Just because Extremists took over the Republican Party (likely destroying it) doesn't mean their opposites own the Democratic Party. And never mistake a moderate Democrat for a ‘so-called’ Republican conservative; if in need of examples, compare their Supreme Court choices...

@Buddha You don't have to be a "progressive" to be a Democrat. One can believe in health care for all, to give one example, without buying into the idea that the free market must be abolished immediately. (If there's an effective, efficient and affordable government option, eventually the private insurance market will wither on the vine without having to be forced out.)

The Republicans who spoke, and who are endorsing Biden, realize that this is an unprecedented time of crisis when one man and his enablers are assaulting the very foundations of American democracy, and if he gets another four years, it's impossible to predict what added damage might be done. As someone put it, "When you're all in the boat together, you have to focus on the closest alligator. We may decide, down the road, that Biden is a different alligator, but right now he's not threatening to eat everyone in the boat." Or words to that effect.

Bottom line: we need to ally with anyone who is willing to push Trump out. There's nothing more important this year. His lack of leadership has done more damage to America's standing in the world, more damage to civil society and the rule of law at home, and has actually cost over 180,000 lives (so far!) that need not have been lost had he done his bare minimum as President. Instead, he put his reelection prospects over the lives of Americans. That's unconscionable. It's worthy of another impeachment, except that we know the Senate would just acquit him again.

Trump must go. And even these Republicans know it.

@Paul4747 well said.

@Buddha:

One party taking over the other party is a fiction. People with money control BOTH political parties.

@yvilletom and thats what we're getting !

@Buddha

At the Democratic National Convention, Republicans were shown speaking against Trump and endorsing Joe Biden.

It's great advertisement for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

I have to ask … how many of those Congressmen reflected the same ‘vote’ with their opportunity to impeach that POS..?

Looked it up - Zero Republicans voted in the House of Representatives to impeach. Now they’ve grown a spine, or acquired a conscience? Or, simply behaving as the rats they are...

Varn Level 8 Sep 4, 2020

@Varn

Don't complain about improvement. This is a great development.

@LiterateHiker That great development came at a price I’m not yet willing to concede.. If those republican rats plan to jump ship - I don’t want them boarding mine.. Let’s run & win with Democrats!

@Varn

Run and win with Dems? You are dreaming. Too many Dems are conservatives.

Your three options above are lacking one. Many Repub voters — not the evangelicals — are turning against Trump.

Repubs in Congress are now free to have spines, or free to have consciences. Your calling them names is evidence of your powerlessness.

@yvilletom Democrats, in order to win, reflect (as designed) their constituents. Some communities are more ‘conservative’ than others. Republicans are always to the wrong side of Democrats; hasn’t always been that way, but for the last 30 years, it has. Republicans, fueled by limitless industrial profits, will continue to drive the national narrative; money talks.

So what do Democrats do when confronted by a powerless Beatnik from the fifties … demanding his aging coffeehouse collection of McGovern liberals political purity be respected by the majority of moderates across the nation..? ...you would know 😉

@Varn Not for the last 30 years.

Back at least to 1952 when the GOP nominated Eisenhower instead of Ohio’s Sen. Robert Taft. Taft joined the Birchers who were calling the moderate Eisenhower a commie sympathizer and started expelling moderates.

Maybe back to 1932 when FDR pulled the 1920s Dems away from the KKK.

Who was the powerless beatnik from the fifties? Wasn’t me; I was powerless then but not a beatnik. I became powerful in the 1970s. Please tell me.

Great start,hope a lot more names will be added to the list

Would they endorse Biden without many of their constituents having already endorsed him?*

@yvilletom

I don't understand your question.

@LiterateHiker

To create change, put more effort into educating voters than into educating incumbents

I’ve been active in campaign finance reform issues for forty five years. SCOTUS has ruled that bribes in the form of campaign contributions are speech and are protected by the First Amendment, i.e., Citizens United.

I wish George W. Bush would add his name to this list.

Just what we need is a war criminal...

@Buddha it’s not for us, it’s for those republicans that still like Bush.

@AgeofReason Exactly. Where Democrats don't persuade, a Republican might move someone who is on the fence.

That's wonderful...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:530830
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.