Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK Could the Big Bang be wrong?

"For anyone wondering how the universe could have formed from an explosion at one point in space, the answer is that it couldn’t. That idea truly is wrong — but it is also not at all what the Big Bang describes.

Which brings me to the other key point: The Big Bang is a description of how the universe began, not an explanation of why it began. It does not assume anything about what (or who) made the universe, and it does not assume anything about what (if anything) came before."

Amzungu 8 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Even Carl Sagan failed.
A correct explanation of the universe may require a knowledge of the Russian language.
A successful explanation requires a knowledge of how to obtain taxpayer or believer support.

Um, I feel quite comfortable with the notion of the Big Bang. I am also quite comfortable with the notion that the concept of time before Big Bang is a mirage and that the concept of time before the Big Bang is also a nonsense.

The question of "Why did the Big Bang happen?" begs all sorts of questions about the nature of time and the nature of causality which question (as I understand it) has yet to be satisfactorily addressed by cosmologists.

The big bang is a modern scientific creation myth. See video at 2 minutes 49 seconds.

Word Level 8 Sep 5, 2020

We think of Time as having a beginning, a past, a present and a future. Maybe it's just Time. It's just part of the universe. So thinking of a beginning is just something we do because we perceive time as something that goes from the past and on in to the future. Maybe it's just Time and the beginning and the end of time is just how we perceive it.

Time is a measurement. Events occure, things have a duration, time is the measurement. We have a scale of this measure we use: seconds, minutes, hours, days, years. Time is so intrinsic to movement that it is hard to understand the measurement of time with out being associated with movement.

I hear people talk about "the beginning of time" as if "something " had to occur in order for this measurement to be applicable.

Hard to make this analogy understandable, but if something were "frozen in time", it may not appear to experience a change for time itself but its frozenness is still in a state of having a duration.

@Word Einstein discovered that how fast time passes depends on where you are. Time is NOT a constant. We know that now. So Before the "Big Bang" there may have been no such thing as time, which means there is no need to consider what was before the Big Bang. There may have been nothing including NO Time. You can't measure something before it existed.

Could the real expansion, red shift, etc merely be manifestations of something more basic?
Namely, a shift in the value of C. (The speed of light.)

What intrigues me is the future of the universe. If the universe is sufficiently massive, then the expansion will eventually halt and the universe will shift into reverse gear and begin contracting, leading ultimately to a Big Crunch. The universe at the end of the Big Crunch may presumably be in the same collapsed state it was in before the Big Bang. This begs the question, would the crunched universe then explode in another Big Bang and perhaps oscillate back and forth from Big Bang to Big Crunch?

An infinitely oscillating or cycling series of universes suggests that you and I may have existed in a previous cycle (a previous incarnation of the universe), and we may exist again in future cycles of the universe. There is no reason to assume we'd have any memory of past incarnations. Our consciousness or spirit may be discontinuous, ended if not by death (as I believe), then by the Big Crunch. But even trillions of years would seem a blink of the eye if you are not conscious during the interval. Of course, there may be zillions of cycles that don't include you or me. But if the cycling goes on (and has gone on) infinitely, you can still have an endless number of reincarnations. And you will have more frequent reincarnations if you count the cycles when, for example, you have one more eyelash than you do now, one less eyelash, two more eyelashes, green eyes instead of brown, a clockwise whorl in your fingerprint instead of counterclockwise …

That's if the universe is sufficiently massive. According to the last astronomical measurement I heard about, it is not massive enough to stop expanding forever. A forever-expanding universe dissipates into a cold, lonely, virtual vacuum. I don't think the final verdict is in on this question, but I haven't kept up with the latest.

The big crunch or the big freeze are I believe the two main possible outcomes. But I am also told that even if they do eventually take place, then it will only be in the very far distant future, and that there will be billion upon billions of years in which the universe will be the cold universe inhabited only by black holes before then.

@Omnedon Thanks, that's a good timeline on Wikipedia. I think of the Big Crunch as possible immortality for atheists. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531154
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.