Agnostic.com

10 15

Buttermilk Whole Wheat Waffles with Blueberries

When she was little, Claire taught me to pour a puddle of maple syrup onto my plate, and dunk waffle pieces into it. This keeps the waffle from getting soggy. Smart girl!

Yogurt adds moisture and tenderness to pancakes, waffles and muffins.

Since I was out of wheat germ, I substituted a scant 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour. Used up all the buttermilk. Instead of buttermilk, I thinned the batter with more yogurt.

1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour. For more tender waffles, use whole wheat pastry flour.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup oat bran
1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 eggs
Scant 1/3 cup salad oil
1/4 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
1 – 1/2 cup blueberries, washed and drained. Frozen blueberries work, defrosted and drained.
Cooking spray for waffle iron.

1. Preheat waffle iron. Spray both sides of iron lightly with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients; mix thoroughly. Fold in blueberries.

3. In a medium bowl beat eggs. Add salad oil, yogurt and buttermilk. Beat with a wire whisk until combined.

4. Combine all ingredients, mix just until mixed. If batter becomes too thick while standing, stir in a little more buttermilk until of good pouring consistency.

5. When waffle baker is ready to use, pour batter into center of lower half, and spread to about 1-inch of edges.

6. Cover and bake about 4 minutes until golden brown; do not lift cover while baking. When waffle is done, lift cover; loosen waffle with fork; serve at once.

7. To prevent sticking, occasionally re-spray baker before pouring in next waffle. Makes 6 waffles.

TIP: To avoid washing another bowl, I poured the buttermilk into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Beat in two eggs. The liquid was almost to the top. "Looks like I can fit in 1/3 cup of oil," I thought. Set the measuring cup in the sink and beat in the oil.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looks and sounds fantastic. 🤤

I can't eat wheat for some time. I've always tested as allergic but I don't feel pain like most people and don't have the pains most get. Until it started to destroy joints, we didn't know for sure. Seriously, I've had two kids and never felt labor, had a half dollar size hole in my colon and didn't feel a thing. I'm a medical anomaly.

I use almond flour and a more keto type lifestyle. I never liked syrup, it's too sweet. Greek yogurt with lots of cinnamon is good enough for me to spread on waffles. GF Pancakes -- it's just mashed berries for me.

@Larimar

For wheat-free waffles, check out the recipe provided below by @MissKathleen.

@LiterateHiker always up for new recipes....I have like three bookshelves of cookbooks. My kids grew up like your Claire. Homemade everything. They don't have the food issues that I grew up with. My daughter still is like her mamma and drinks almost mainly water. My son also but he will indulge in fruit punch once in a while. My ex mother in law used to get upset when they visited because they wouldn't eat the sweets or drink the soda pop she'd stock for grandkids. My kids didn't even like graham crackers, preferring saltines. I've won state fair for pie before, however. It's a family trait.

@Larimar

Good for you!

Quite the Yummy receipe Love waffles or pancakes with dark amber Maple syrup butrarely have them ,more of a treat now and again , When i have guest for breakfast usually like to do waffle drizzeled in Maple syrup top with an egg ,poached or fried soft centre,bit more syrup over garnished with a piece of Parsley with a few strips of crispy bacon,yummy

Looks great!

They sound good, but I'll have to pass on the blueberries.

@xenoview

These waffles are delicious with sliced bananas, chopped figs or pecans.

Why are you trying to make me gain even more weight?

Hey, that is my line, I have been giving her grief for a long time about her cooking and posting of pictures. I will let you go this time, I have to lose another 70 pounds before I can get new knees.

I'm sure they taste wonderful.. I don't like waffles or regular flour based pancakes.. Especially with that sickeningly sweet syrup... I like potato pancakes sometimes with appleauce.... I really don't even like sweets much either.. I'd rather have fruit.. Sweet but not too sweet... I'd be bouncing off the walls if I ate waffles with syrup lol 🙂

@Cutiebeauty

There's no sugar in the waffles.

They are good topped with applesauce or fresh fruit.

@LiterateHiker maybe I'll make them one day 😉

I hope your daughter appreciates how fortunate she was. My mother didn't know how to cook and could only make pancakes from a mix. I never ate waffles at home, ever. Fortunately my ex was an OK cook, and her mother, who lived with us and helped raise the kids, was the best.

Thank you.

I didn't use processed baby food with corn syrup. Instead I got a baby food grinder and cooked vegetables softer. Claire didn't eat sugar until her first birthday when I made her a carrot cake. You should have seen her face when she first tasted ice cream!

"That's why I don't like sugary desserts," Claire said recently. "I appreciate that you raised me eating homemade, healthy food. I have a healthy diet because of you."

@LiterateHiker Not feeding her sugar was critical. My ex sugar-addicted my daughters, and they suffer for it.

Good tip!

Sounds tasty!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:534144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.