Agnostic.com

5 11

"Thank goodness you labeled everything!"

My girl Claire is divorcing her abusive husband Matt. This weekend, a moving van is coming to pick up all of Matt's belongings that Claire piled on the porch.

After going through their Christmas decorations, Claire texted:

"Thank goodness you labeled everything! His mom gave us over 30 boxes of tacky dollar store junk and gold-and-white Christmas stuff. No sentimental value. None labeled. Matt never let me put anything sentimental up. He likes a white, fake tree with fake ornaments. Shane and I love sentimental value and now I can finally use everything."

So, Christmas ornaments I gave Claire are still in clearly-labeled boxes. Seven years ago, I stopped putting up a Christmas tree. Gave all of my ornaments to Claire. Some were handed down by my mother and grandmother.

Starting when she was a baby, I gave Claire an ornament each Christmas.

For five years, I hosted large Christmas ornament-making parties for parents and their kids. Got tired of buying expensive craft materials for everyone. After doing all of the setup, cooking and cleanup, I felt exhausted.

Photo:

Musical angel ornament on my Christmas tree. Made by Claire, age five, and me during the first ornament-making party.

Oops! I cut up original flute sheet music at first. Came to my senses and made copies.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Traditions like this are a nice part of some children's upbringing, your daughter is fortunate. I didn't get to experience it growing up but was able to create it with my own children. Each year one of the three kids would be the one to place the special angel on the very top of the tree. The chosen one (they rotated over the years) would look forward to it all year.

Beautiful ornaments. I sometimes put up a 3’ tree with the one box of ornaments I have left. Some years it’s not worth the bother or not in the mood. Actually that’s more years than. It lately.

I had about a dozen ceramic houses and gave them away to my kids as a part of my downsizing.

I’m glad Claire made good decisions and is making healthy choices. I have one daughter who went through that and know it’s tough

@BudFrank

Thank you.

After all these years later you may have to admit using original sheet music made the angel more original. 😉 We still do a tree after all it's a pagan thing too. 🌲 😁 Good thing you kept them labeled.

That's a beautiful ornament, and even more precious memory - and MY kind of a tree with authenticity! I haven't had a tree for a few years, but may give it one more go since I am home this year. The tough part is convincing my daughter-in-law that I truly do not want more "stuff", regardless of her black friday deals. The last few gifts are still boxed, but I think will just be moved on soon.

So glad that Claire has made a healthy decision to leave a dangerous and dreary situation. Wishing all the best now!

@tinkercreek

Thank you, dear. It was hard to part with the ornaments. Glad Claire treasures them.

Lots of interesting Christmas stuff going on with you and Claire over the last 10 years ,The older we get the more of a relaxing no fuss Christmas we seem to want ,just family nice meal ,presents even do not mean that much anymore when your older because you buy everything you need ahead of time,,

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:538250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.