Agnostic.com

4 3

Last night's debate has nudged me closer to something that would not have seriously crossed my mind as recently as a year ago. If Trump should be reelected, I may consider moving to a different country. Naturally that's far easier said than done, and I might not actually do it. As yet I have no plan. I don't know where I would go. I have several friends I would miss. I would have to leave behind the house built by my grandmother's grandparents. It hurts just thinking about all that would be involved. On the other hand, I have no family to worry about, and I'm fortunate enough to have the resources to do it. I just find it difficult to picture getting through another four years. At first it wasn't so bad but now... I might not have the courage and determination to go through with it, but I'm closer now than ever before.

So where should I go?

Omnedon 7 Sep 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Portugal. Wonderful climate, no nasty wildlife, good people, reasonably priced, nice history, culture, countryside (hills and coast), most people speak English but language not hard to learn, human sized country but good rail and road links to the rest of western Europe.

@Omnedon Moderate. quite a lot of airports because of the tourist trade.

Well put, and you’re not the first to mention that around here.. I’d stay to help defend my adult ‘children,’ and presumed eventual grandchildren. And with no one counting on me, or you … why not fight? I’m not beyond that, either.

The State you’re in can be a major factor (didn’t notice yours), and if that prick were to ‘nearly win’ again, yet lost the Senate ..and the House stayed secure, his power to fuck things up would be greatly diminished ...lacking the political help and constant protection of his Republican enablers..

I could recommend somewhere wild & amazing … but am afraid our Proud Boy contingent might attempt to get there first 😉 If worse comes to worse, I’ll tell you … maybe even tag along.. Help set up a massive compound outside the US ..then invite our (stable) Atheist ..and Agnostic pals 🙂

Varn Level 8 Sep 30, 2020

Mexico...

I never in my 52 years even remotely considered leaving this country that I love so dearly. Yet in the past couple of months, the thought has indeed crossed my mind. We’ve become a vile and disgusting nation full of hateful people who are constantly attacking one another. We’ve lost our way as a nation and as a people.

I’ve done a little bit of research and have come up with Portugal, Italy, Spain, and France as strong contenders based on their Global Peace Index score, world healthcare rank, and cost of living. Also, they’re neither too hot nor too cold, nor are they so far away from the USA that making visits would be challenging.

Having watched many documentaries describing Jews, for example, who’d fled Germany in time … I’ve long wondered, how do you know when it’s time to go?

@Varn Excellent question indeed. Unfortunately, only hindsight is 20/20. Maybe making the leap just before you think you should go is the right time.

Also, I have a friend to moved to Portugal with her husband. It took them forever to get everything in order. The time to start planning is now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:539112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.