Agnostic.com

8 0

How has becoming an atheist, or agnostic effected your friendships and relationships?

such as, how did your family treat you or spouse treat you after you figured out you were not a believer?

MichaelSpinler 8 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because I grew up being indoctrinated as a Christian and then going to Uni and post grad in theology, almost all of my relatives and friends were Christian. When I became an atheist most people who I knew distanced themselves from me. My sister and my nephew tried to re-convert me. Several previous church members thought that I must have left religion because someone had offended me, or I must be angry at someone. After I made it clear that I made the choice on my own and without anyone in any way upsetting me, the people just didn't know what to say. I was told I would go to hell and that they would pray for me. So, I started making new secular friends and moved forward creating a "new family." My brother and sister have since become close with me, but we have an agreement that they will not try to convert me and I will not attack their superstitions. It has worked nicely with them.

I have many that will have nothing to do with me. I could be friends with them but they can't handle it without their gawd.

I haven't had any problems with significant others, since they go in knowing I don't believe in it. Because I make it clear. But, my family..? My mother and I, as well as my cousin and I tend to get into heated debates or arguments because of my lack of religion. I have also lost a good friend due to always posting jokes and memes on Facebook against religion, or that made fun of religion. She was catholic and she had gotten fed up with me not respecting religion. So, there goes that.

Not many people in my (extended) family know but practically all of my friends do. I've tried making friends with believers and they never really like the fact that I'm not a believer.

It hasn't because I respect their beliefs. They may ask why I believe as I do without trying to change my mind as I already know why they believe as they do without my having to challenge their beliefs.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

Thank you very much. I stand corrected. I respect others rights to believe as they do. I don't necessarily respect their beliefs.

I have family that won't speak to me but that's okay, I can't change who I am.

Nearly all of my friends are atheist at this point. I maintain friendly acquaintances with many who are not atheists, but these are not those with whom I typically share a close personal relationship. In large part, this came about because I chose to fashion my professional works around atheism; or, more accurately, secular humanism. There is only so much professional work that can be done around a position that states "none of the above."

Parents are a tough matter. There is a definite wall between us, and it is very hard to keep the disgust I feel for religious-based discrimination in today's world and political environment out of my interactions with my (religious) parents. These beliefs shape so much of our mind that it's almost as though we're not discussing the same world or events. Taking politics and religion and psychology out of the picture, and I'm not sure what's left worth to discuss... We try very hard to maintain a loving relationship, but it has grown very painful. Brief and infrequent visits are often the key to maintaining our relationship.

I got closer to my truer friends and it's caused some very clear divides with my family. I'm out as a gay, liberal atheist which is the sum total of everything I was raised to hate and fear in a deeply conservative religious family that only ever watched Faux News. I make no bones about my anti-theism. I very clearly and openly despise it for its longstanding violence and ignorance which has cause my friends list on Facebook to be cut nearly in half. That just makes room for me to befriend other atheists and other LGBT friends to fill those slots.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:541
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.