Agnostic.com

11 2

Does anybody else get enjoyment from reading things such as myths and other stories associated with religion? I personally enjoy things such as Greek and Egyptian mythology, but when I read them I simply read them as fictional stories. As atheists/agnostics, how do you tend to read stories like that?

grayson384 4 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To put myths into perspective, I don't believe anyone does better than Joseph Campbell. He's best known for his work in comparative mythology and comparative religion. Although raised Catholic, he eventually understood all religions that ever existed to be myths. To many people, religions and all other myths help them deal with the unknown and the apparent meaninglessness of life. Campbell is legendary in many ways, one of which was his huge influence on George Lucas' StarWars series. He wrote many books (search Amazon), was in many videos (some on YouTube), and has been written about in many other books. He was the one that finally put my questions about religion into perspective and turned many lights on for me.

I certainly do. I even read through the complete Left Behind series (yeah I know, grade school level reading) just out of curiosity of how the writers manifest biblical forecast in the modern world. But like you, I see it all as fiction, unlike a science fiction or Ann Rice novel.

godef Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

I love that story where humanity became unstoppable in this tower that a petulant and imperfect god destroyed everything and scattered people across the land with different languages so they would never, ever be able to understand each other or translate things(like the holy book) so that they would never threaten him again. Then thousands of years later, the people figured it out and tore him down again, because he is petulant, imperfect, ignorant and a myth. I believe it was called the Tower of Babel and The Internet.

absolutely, its just a bit hard to take enjoyment to existing religious myths when their negative effects are actively degrading our society, other wise i'm sure i would enjoy some of those too.

I read a lot of cultural tales. My only problem with our biblical tales, is that they are so dry....very ho hum....sodom and gomorrah in about a page? Really? We are horrible at our story telling...damn nicea accords....I bet it was juicy til they got their hands on it...

I love mythology and studied world religions and find the narratives fascinating and relevant touchstones. They also help me contextualize or frame concepts and ideas. Have you read any of Joseph Campbell's work. I recommend "The Power of Myth." Bill Moyer has several interviews with Joseph Campbell in YouTube you might enjoy.

I always view religious stories as fiction.

A culture's myths, legends, and stories are a picture window that gives us a panoramic view of the people who created them. Yes, I enjoy them a lot.

Non-Christian myths are some of my favorite things to read. I actually think that it helps draw me out of religion altogether because of repeating myths and themes. My favorites have always been Egyptian and Greek myths as well but I'll never say no to some Celtic or Norse myths either!

Yes! Myth cycles and hero tales are such a fascinating glimpse into how our minds process the world around us. If you give a human a few certainties we will create an elabo

Well your one over me Sir. im still laughing at those supernatural shows on tv. They had one show where the guy was so affraid he was crying . Look, i have been that way as a child. It was terrible that i was terrified. No one was there for me. Damn churches and tv has poisoned us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5411
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.