Agnostic.com

2 3

Nietzsche on philosophy

Hages 7 Oct 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are quoting from the much disputed 1968 translation by Walter Kaufmann of The Case of Wagner
A Musicians' Problem. 1888.
The passage is not even part of the essay it is taken from an epilogue to a commentary on The Case of Wagner A Musicians' Problem. Written some time later and refering back to his Introduction to the essay written at the same time as the epilogue.

" I have granted myself some small relief. It is not merely pure malice when I praise Bizet in this essay at the expense of Wagner. Interspersed with many jokes, I bring up a matter that is no joke. "

The passage Translates from German as
*Holiness—perhaps the last thing the people and women still get to see of higher values, the horizon of the ideal for all who are by nature myopic. But among philosophers this is, like every horizon, a mere case of lack of understanding, a sort of shutting the gate at the point where their world only begins—their danger, their ideal, their desideratum.— To say it more politely: la philosophie ne suffit pas au grand nombre. Il lui faut la sainteté.

Leaving the French quote at the end in the original language to highlight the subtlety Nietzsche intended.
Kaufman however takes it upon himself to translate

la philosophie ne suffit pas au grand nombre. Il lui faut la sainteté.
as
"Philosophy is not suited for the masses. What they need is holiness.

Which is a freaking awful translation

In reality a better translation is

For many (people), philosophy is not enough. He needs holiness.

"He" in this case is the subject of the essay Wagner

I hope this is of some help in understanding the words of the author In Context

Thank you, I have no French or German, so that explains a lot, since it just did not sound right for Nietzsche.

No. The masses as defined by 'uneducated' need good, reasonable quality education. The failing of education then and now, is in part fueled by the church's and other vested interests desire to use the school systems of the world, to actively suppress education. The excuse available in Nietzsche's day that the world did not have the resources to provide everyone, in the developed world at least, with a high standard of education no longer exists.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:541574
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.