Agnostic.com

5 8

LINK Black hole revelations win the 2020 Nobel Prize in physics | Science News

"The Milky Way’s central black hole, named Sagittarius A, is a behemoth at 4 million times the mass of the sun. Scientists now think that such a supermassive black hole sits at the center of most large galaxies. "

Question: Is there a type of weak black hole that something could travel into and also escape from?

AnonySchmoose 8 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Question: Is there a type of weak black hole that something could travel into and also escape from?

Disney's The Black Hole (1979) was very weak, and I believe several of the cast's careers did escape it eventually. Ernest Borgnine's may have been lost forever, though.

So relatively no loss of information in that theoretical black hole.

With a little research, that mass of black hole is right at 16.5x the diameter of our sun. Quite a small pinprick to be holding the milky way together! I'm now proud to be a Sagittarius.

Me too . . . a lucky Sagittarius.

Me three

This might be an explanation for the Lambda constant, a theory Einstein considered his biggest blunder, one however that post-mortem turned out to be right after all.

I'm a pretty feepy mathematician, so I understand this stuff fairly poetically. I keep seeing black holes as sort of like the drain in your bathtub. It's probably not very much like that though. I think scientists' knowledge of the interior of a black hole is like the old map-makers, who peopled the edges of the known world with monsters.

TO_BY Level 7 Nov 5, 2020

I like the 'Scientific American' description of black hole theories.
[scientificamerican.com]

WOW, amazing.

The Scientific American article says we do not understand black holes correctly yet.
[scientificamerican.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:549962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.