Agnostic.com

6 7

How divided is Washington State?

For decades, extreme conservative Republicans have pushed in vain to make Eastern Washington a separate state called "Liberty." Idiots.

Republicans are furious and resentful each time the huge Democrat population of King County (Seattle/Tacoma) wins state elections. We have a Democrat governor, state House of Representatives and Senate.

It is foolish for Eastern Washington to secede from Western Washington.

I will never forget this hilarious, April Fool's Day column by Ron Judd of the Seattle Times.

"To Wenatchee: Denizens of the channeled scablands- We pave your roads, build your universities, fund your hospitals and what do we get in return? Endless carping about the annual clam digging schedule on Puget Sound beaches and the Lentil Festival of Ferry County. You want to secede? Go right ahead. We won't miss you."

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Michigan has a mere 11 counties that swung for Biden, yet they had enough population to make up over 50% of the vote, while the remainder voted overwhelmingly for Trump; by 70% margins or more in most cases. And the blue counties are mainly a cluster in the South and SouthEast part of the state; Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint, Lansing, Grand Rapids, with just a couple of outliers to the north, notably Marquette county, home to a big college community.

What you see in Michigan is huge rural sections of the state where the voters are overwhelmingly white, blue collar, and with a low proportion of college education, voting Trump; while the urban areas, where there's a large proportion of Hispanic and Black voters, more professional and service industries, and notably where the universities are clustered and where people are more likely to have either been to college or at least have family members who have, voted for Biden. My county is one of the 70% red ones, and only 30 miles away from a huge Democratic stronghold where the vote was 80% for Biden. You could almost see the difference crossing the county line.

I have a suspicion that this is the sort of divide that's going to be found almost everywhere when the analysis is over.

Ron Judd is one of my favorite journalists. He started as a sports writer but then went on into satire.

Lots of states have that divide, but it is not so geographically clear. In Georgia the counties that put the state on the blue side are central and a little north.

They should move to alabama, that's where they belong

Let’s send all the Trumpers to Texas and let it secede. They can have their own country with a wall barrier to Mexico just like they want. Wall the whole state in and let them duke it out, Snake Pliskin style 😏

I always thought we should give Texas to China to settle our debt with them ! Lol
Maybe keep Austin !

48% of Texas including ALL OF THE MAJOR CITIES voted blue in 2020. So, you are going to lump us folks that voted blue in that category too?

Texas is tipping blue, not this year but before long. I was thinking give the MAGA heads Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Those states are not tipping anytime soon.

We get that here in Canada with Alberta and Quebec all the time, Quebec even went as far as a referendum at one time but it was voted down, People always think it will be better until they find out all the responsibilitys they suddenly inherited plus that they must increase their taxes to pay for it all ,Relax and enjoy what you have

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:552147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.