Agnostic.com

16 1

What question have you asked a Christian during a debate that ended the conversation?

I'm curious because I recall asking questions in my Christian life and getting the response, "God doesn't let us know everything." Basically, they were stumped and that was their go to answer.

LisaRL26 4 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can you fuck off?

How are you?

How can the part of us that is supposed to "die, daily" (what we now know as ego) be the part that might get into some "future" place called heaven! (not in there anywhere, trust me)

I ask them what they thought Jesus taught suggesting that it was that the kingdom of heaven was about to come.

Shouldn't you read books other than Bible to ensure that the Bible is correct?

"So you're cool with slavery, then?"

That usually stops it dead in its tracks or is the beginning of the end when I explain that if they think slavery is immoral, then they are heretics.

This argument is especially useful when people bring up Leviticus. There is one line about homosexuality but several entire passages about how to buy, own, and sell slaves.

My son finally gave in to his wife's manipulation and is now a christian like her. I asked him this question and he said " You know, in the old days, people were so poor that they OFFERED themselves to be slaves, so they could have food and shelter, so it wasn't really slavery". I knew then that all I could do was tell him I love him, and hope silently that he gets himself straight again soon.

Why can faith healers cure cancer, spine problems, ass boils but they can't faith heal a missing limb? Why don't TV televangelists like Pat Robertson, who can heal the sick over the airways not go into a childrens burn unit and heal them? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Being gay, just tellign them that I am gay usually sends them running as if they through it were contageous.

I’ve been told it’s more contagious than the plague. I must have immunity though because I haven’t caught it 😉

@Sheltonhour LOL...

various riffs on the obvious ignoring of "give no thought for tomorrow," and also "he who says he knows anything does not yet know as he ought." the riffs are pretty obvious too i hope. The Bible is the very worst enemy of an institutional believer 🙂

"when did 'I came that you might have life, more abundantly' turn into 'i can't wait to die, and go to heaven?'"

"you say that you are waiting for Jesus to come back and save you again or whatever, but aren't you supposed to be the body of Christ?"

My 4 year old has morals... she doesn’t read,care or understand any biblical ideologies... Socialogy? Ah-Huh...

Debate is a dialogue where two people are expressing thier inner beliefs and thoughts you do not have to agree at any point but you can leave at any point too during the debate for another day

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

for me, the one i never get a clear answer 2 is how are you ok with worshiping someone who let their own son die, even tho he could have stopped it if he really is all powerfu? also a lot of christians get offended when i ask how can you put anyone before your family, especially your kids? how is some dude you have never met, more important than them?

Byrd Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Wouldn't God know I was lying if I said I believed in him?

"Some things are just left up to faith."

There really is no comeback for that. At that point logic has been abandoned and there is no argument that will penetrate that wall. That's when you sigh and move on.

Yep....I have had that said to me: "That's why it's called faith." No answer to that.....conversation OVER.

I agree. The conversation usually ends there. But I like planting seeds of thought. I would say to that person, "I understand. But let's define our words. Faith is belief in something without evidence. And often, faith is belief in something despite evidence that appears to contract the belief! And if this were not so, there would be no need for faith. When you have solid evidence for something, there's no need for faith. So then, what you're telling me is, you prefer to believe in things even though there's no solid evidence, true?"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.