Agnostic.com

2 3

Rediscovered a favorite chapter from Waking Life. Havent seen this film in ages. Good thing it's wine night. 🍷

(A large bridge emerges from afar. And on the bridge is a shining light, from which a wild looking man in an afro appears. It is poet Timothy Levitch)

"On this bridge," Lorca warns, "life is not a dream. Beware. And beware. And beware."

And so, many think because "Then" happened, that "Now" isn't. But didn't I mention the ongoing "Wow" is happening right now? We are all co-authors of this dancing exuberance where even our inabilities are having a roast. We are the authors of ourselves, co-authoring a gigantic Dostoevsky novel, starring clowns.

This entire thing we're involved with called the world, is an opportunity to exhibit how exciting alienation can be. Life is a matter of a miracle that is collected over time by moments, flabbergasted to be in each other's presence. The world is an exam to see if we can rise into direct experience. Our eyesight is here as a test to see if we can see beyond it. Matter is here as a test for our curiosity. Doubt is here as an exam for our vitality.

Thomas Mann wrote that he would rather participate in life than write 100 stories. Giacometti was once run down by a car, and he recalled falling into a lucid faint, a sudden exhilaration, as he realized that at last something was happening to him.

An assumption develops that you cannot understand life and live life simultaneously. I do not agree entirely. Which is to say I do not exactly disagree. I would say that life understood is life lived. But the paradoxes bug me, and I can learn to love and make love to the paradoxes that bug me. And on really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion.

Before you drift off, don't forget. Which is to say, remember. Because remembering is so much more a psychotic activity than forgetting. Lorca, in that same poem said that the iguana will bite those who do not dream. And as one realizes that one is a dream figure in another person's dream, that is self awareness.

summatyme 7 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Chianti is my wine of life understood but it took 18 years of growth to pop that 1st cork

A dramatic cartoon documentary. Does this format make these philosophical discussions any less boring? I'm only kidding. Of course it doesn't!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:556637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.