Agnostic.com

1 1

International thoughts & input requested?

The Australian Human Rights Commission on December 1st, 2020 issued a creatively designed interactive poster with the following introduction:

What are the rights and freedoms we should all enjoy in Australia under International human rights law? Find the answers in our new interactive Bill of Rights poster (scroll down the page after opening the link)

[rise.articulate.com]

What are your thoughts and how does your country hold up the conventions that it has internationally signed & agreed to?

FrayedBear 9 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the most polemic view of Norway when people from outside look is that kids are full citizens and not property of the parents.
Meaning to say that parents have responsibility over the not totally capable citizen, but have no rights "over" that person.
So kids have right of education, the parents can't deny it by some homeschooling stuff.
Kids have right to health, rights to freedom etc.
And this goes to the point that some people accuse the government of using this kids right to erase the culture of foreigner families as if it is some kind of abuse, and at some point is really difficult to see those limits.
On top of that the government never comments children's cases to protect the children and any official information is in justice secret, so all you have on the news is the parents version (and of course they will tell whatever fits their intentions), it makes everything more cloudy.

Ok. So how is the issue of children having the right to be fully parented by each parent handled? Is the sham of one parent called custodial parent made the primary carer & the other what is tantamount to an occasional babysitter? Alternatively are the parenting responsiblities fully apportioned on a constructive & enabling time share basis resulting in equality of parenting?

Is migrant culture guarded in extant family relationships? How are religions other than Lutheran handled?

@FrayedBear I typed a really nice answer, but for some miss click it was erased.
Basically, I do not claim to understand all the questions or having all the answers.

There can be many arrangements on parental time with the kids in case of separation. If they leave in same city or close is common that the kids come and go freely from the 2 houses the cities here are not really big or dangerous). The parents try to keep a civilized relationship so the kids can have a non judicialized relationship with separated parents.
Also a lot come from the culture not from the laws, the culture is totally centered around the next generation.

It is difficult to distinguish between good parents mistreated by government due to cultural differences and bad parents using the "govern don't comment to protect the kid" rule to tell false histories about xenophobe actions.

Religion don't seems to be a factor as even for non religious families there are parallel ceremonies (humanists are very strong here) to fill the social/traditions gap.

About parental responsibilities, the country tries to promote equality for example giving the father the chance to have a real paternity leave as part of the welfare state.

Also I am not a local so I am giving my view. The system is good, not perfect, but way better that the alternatives in my opinion. But can be a shock for people that treat kids as parent's properties.

@Pedrohbds Your last sentence greatly raises my cheer. Australia is very much the opposite. Children are weaponised as economic weapons.
I think the experience of a neighbours son 30+ years ago typified attitudes. He married another Australian on the understanding that they have no children. As soon as she was pregnant refusing to have an abortion on religious grounds & held the baby for 5½ months she turned nasty saying "I've now got you where I want. You will keep me in the style that I desire for yhe rest of my life". Well he did. Shortly after they discovered a lump, brought the baby early & started chemotherapy, dying within weeks. The poor guy left with a baby that he never wanted! Then came the kicker. They told him that they believed that the cancer was due to yhe 12 or 13 abortions that they discovered she had previously had.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557633
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.