Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK Do lions purr? - BBC Science Focus Magazine

How would you describe the lion in the pic?

AnonySchmoose 8 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This lion is lying there proudly with confidence. He's not called the king of the jungle for nothing 😊

Yes, he looks dominant, big & strong.

From all the lion observing I've done in my life I've never witnessed them purr.

Wind blown

Regal ,looking over his territory and pride

Actually they dont... Cats that purr do not roar... Those that roar, such as a lion, do not purr...... Quote from a knowledgable bushman in east africa

Content and happy

Of course lions purr. So do cougars and leopards. They are all big cats.

The lion in the picture looks regal.

Actually the article says its controversial because they aren't able to purr the way a domestic cat would. Apparently they do "gurgle" though. 🤔

@MsAl

Perhaps the size of a lion's vocal cords makes it sound like a gurgle to humans.

The gurgle is a similar sound but it's a different physical action and not continuous like a purr (at least that's what the article says.)

Here is another one that talks about their lack of the ability to purr in more detail.
"In big cats—lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars—a length of tough cartilage runs up the hyoid bones to the skull. This feature prevents purring but also gives the larynx enough flexibility to produce a full- throated roar—114 decibels' worth in the case of one lion tested. The sound can be loud enough to be near a human's pain threshold. Purring ability, rather than size or behavior, is one of two chief distinctions between the two main genera of cat, Felis and Panthera."
[nwf.org].

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.