Agnostic.com

3 7

LINK The 25% Tipping Point - Yes! Magazine

"What does it take to upend conventional beliefs and behaviors?. . . New research reveals precisely when cultures shift . . . That tipping points lead to change in collective behavior. When 10% or 15% or even 20% of a population grabs hold of an idea, progress is slow. Failure looms. But then, a few more people get on board. And suddenly, success."

AnonySchmoose 8 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think thats how Trump got elected, in 20. At first nobody took him seriously ,but than his fan club grew and the scale tipped. Nobody cared anymore if he is smart or fair . The " Blacklivesmatter " movement is like that to, I think
I mean in 2019 I didnt even knew what structural racism or " Jim Crow " is, than my own younger familymembers starting to talk about it, suggesting books, and now I know. And care.

I hear and read about 'systemic racism' a lot. Until now I hadn't heard the term 'structural racism' and yet it makes complete sense to say that laws, rules and policies perpetuate racism. This term is more specific than 'systemic racism.' Thanks for mentioning it.

I feel that this very subjective and very much depends on which conventional beliefs and behaviors are under consideration.

If I say I am atheist and spiritual, is that really a statement that most nones could accept as non-subjective? Isn't it considered suspiciously woo at this time? Currently the fact that nature and good music both make me feel spiritual can be considered suspiciously anti-atheist.

@AnonySchmoose When someone comes up with an accepted definition of spiritual that "spiritual" people can agree on I'll consider the evidence for atheist and spiritual.
As it stands "spiritual can mean anything and everything that the speaker wishes it to mean, it is a catch all term that may or may not have supernatural connotations, may or may not refer to matter of a soul or spirit, may or may not be associated with mental conditions and reactions or may or may not involve superstitions about everything from deism to ancient aliens.

When it stops being a bull shit catch all term I will pay attention to it, as it stands at the moment I won't waste time on people who quite literally don't know what they are talking about.

@LenHazell53
Your explanation sounds reasonable. If I say that nature and music make me feel spiritual, I'd enjoy knowing whether I've defined what the term means to me enough for you to give me a pass to use it. For that matter, identifying as atheist could give me a spiritual awareness of my own identity. After all, I believe in the self, though I am not a religion.

@AnonySchmoose I believe that if you and I share the same feelings about Music and Nature it is more of a sensation of being at one with and in awe of natural beauty and the workings of the universe.
When I was a believer I would have called it a prompting of the Holy Spirit, hopefully now I know better.

@LenHazell53
Maybe a better word to use instead of 'spiritual' is 'intangible.'
A sensation of being at one with and in awe of" is an apt definition, though it is quite a lot wordier than intangible or spiritual.
I agree with your definition.

@AnonySchmoose Yes good word, perhaps Transcendent or hypernormal would suffice too?

@LenHazell53
Thanks. I love 'transcendent.' I may use that word more now.

so, socrates, out......the view, in ? repent ye human hunanoids. i puke for you. at you. on you.

Franz Kafka in.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557753
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.