Agnostic.com

8 13

Soup to the rescue! Both parents of the girl I'm mentoring have COVID-19.

Dennise tested negative on Monday. She will get a second test in a few days.

Wearing two masks and gloves, yesterday morning I brought Dennise eight servings of homemade turkey-vegetable-noodle soup. Dennise carried a big pot outside and I dumped the frozen soup into it. Also brought the family sourdough whole-grain bread.

For Thanksgiving, I roasted a natural turkey breast. Simmered the bones all day with vegies and herbs to make broth. The next day, I started over with fresh vegetables and shredded the turkey breast into the soup. Froze it in two-serving batches.

Because Dennise is vegan, she cannot eat the soup. So, I brought her an unopened Kashi grain mix, and six vegan cookbooks from my hiking partner Karen who is vegan.

Poor Dennise is scared and worried. Suddenly she is taking care of her parents.

Dennise takes online high school classes, does homework (4.00 grade point average) works, and applies for colleges and scholarships with my help via email and phone.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

She will always remember you.

Good work by both of you.

@Larimar, @RoyMillar, @Robert_2001, @bobwjr, @oldFloyd, @xenoview, @HippieChick, @Fernapple, @Dave1459, @Mitch07102, @Greenblue, @BitFlipper, @RichCC

This evening, Dennise texted that her second COVID-19 test was positive. "I feel really sick."

I suggested Dennise call the Health Department to ask about nursing services, food deliveries, and how to apply for unemployment benefits.

"I think my dad already called because yesterday afternoon, we received a ton of food for our pantry," Dennise replied. "My parents are really grateful. A nurse calls my mom every day. 🙂"

I’m Sorry to hear she’s sick too. Hope it’s not too bad for any of them.

I'm sorry to hear that news but I'm glad you're there to help them ( Stay safe yourself! ).
The services you mentioned are a hugely great idea.
When my wife and I took care of my father, a service made it possible for us to hold things together. It's amazing the things in life that get neglected when an illness or something disrupts your normal plan.

We're thinking of them and you.👥🤔

I hope they get well soon.

IMO, Richcc has reflected my thoughts also, stay safe and well. 🤗

So sorry Denise has it now also,not unexpected since she is living with her parents .Wish them all a safe recovery And Thank you @literatehiker for being such a wonderful friend and humanitarian to them, Hopefully they will all be thru it in time for Christmas

thank goodness they have you. So sorry they and she are going through this. If I were closer, I'd try to help, too. I've got my good friend here and their family all got it this week. I took over about 100 worth of groceries and left them on the steps up to the porch. Waved from the car. None of them were able to work this week and most of next, no income makes for a hard holiday for them all. I'll probably do the same next week. The least I could do, she and her children have been good friends and I've watched them struggle for a long time now. They had to move in with his dad about two years ago due to our economy and stagnant wages. It's truly a sad time we're living in.

Good for you honey

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 11, 2020

Lets hope Denise does not get it and her parents come thru it with no lasting side effects and Thank you for all your humanitarian work helping that family ,Your cooking sounds delicious, You have a beautiful spirit ,Loving hugs sent to you

Absolutely! Dennise, you are top shelf in the spice rack of life.

@RoyMillar

Thank you, Roy. I appreciate your support and kind words.

Very nice 👌

Thank you for putting the human in life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:559962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.