Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK Guessing These Strangers’ Astrological Signs Isn’t As Impressive As It Seems – Friendly Atheist

When it comes down to it, this wasnโ€™t a simple game of chance. The odds of correctly guessing the zodiac signs of as many people as they did are significantly higher than 1% because there are all sorts of clues that offer insight into the answers.

Astrology is nonsense. Whatโ€™s sad is how many people involved in the Cut videos and responding the comments seem to fall for it.

zblaze 7 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Astrology is clearly sudo-science gibberish that plays on people's emotions and lack of cognitive dexterity. Mind you, I'm bound to say that as a typical Capricorn ๐Ÿ˜‰

Love Rationality Rules and Cosmic Skeptic. One would think if they actually had special powers they'd guess everyone correctly.

Omg! I love both of those Chanels. It's especially satisfying to see both young and British intellects for this old dunce!

Another great one is Deter Lucium (I've spelt that wrong! - I'll post a link)

@GilesD We need some more in the United States. I guess I'm trying my best. We're trying to have our voices heard.

@AustinSkepticus well I'd advocate we need more smart people all over the world. The more the better. Whilst mankind can truly perform the most horrible and dreadful atrocities of both mind (religious doctrine) and body (war), we (by which of course I mean them!) have managed to do the most incredible leaps of knowledge and creation (no; invention, not the other one - lol). From Biology, to Astronomy, Technology, Chemistry, Art, Literature, Transportation, Construction, oh the list goes on and on..... Go mankind! Lol

Smart guys, great people, tremendous (as Trump would grunt/say) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers for that. I have always thought the time of year was influential, but, I could never accept the astrology BS. Useful links on the youtube page aswell ๐Ÿ™‚

I've not researched it at all because I've always dismissed Astrology out of hand. But what you said, about "the time of year" actually made me think about it and you may have a point.

It doesn't seem totally unreasonable that given the time of year that you are born, that a growing baby has a different environment to that of another baby born at another time of year. If one proposes that a maturing baby between say, 0 and 3 months old, develops character traits that are influenced by the environmental conditions (ties in with Eveolutionary theory in a tentative way) such as Winter and Summer (darkened, cold room inside as opposed to a summer with bright sunshine and exposure outside?) then I can see a basis for your birth month having a potential to influence/form some character trait in adulthood..... Well possibly.

Of course my conjecture is probably blown out of the water by the fact that we live on a Planet (yes, a Globe!) that has a global month naming system but different environmental conditions depending on where the baby lives! A December baby in London is born in the Winter, whilst a December baby in Sydney is born in the Summer

Darn it, another theory down the drain ๐Ÿ˜‰

@GilesD One of the links was to a survey exclusively of people in England, so as to isolate geological influences.

[journals.plos.org]

I also read a survey a while ago, where it showed that pupils who were born in September had a great advantage over those born in July. The September child had almost an extra year in development when he/she first started school. So they are best placed to take advantage of their schooling right from the start and are able to capatalise on that throughout their education. Quite an unfair situation.

@GothRik links to survey very helpful. Thanks. I love the fact that smart people do these studies, scientifically and that we can just click on a button a read it and benefit from all their smart work.

Yes, these studies, unsurprisingly, show the effect of different birth months on the adult human health.

But I thought you were originally specifically attaching those effects to a character attribute as defined in Astrology (which I now believe you weren't!)

Astrology is all sudoscience and I can't see any merit in it really (perhaps it helps people's mental health, perhaps it makes it worse).

I think they fall for it because they want to believe, just like children want to believe in magic. ๐Ÿ™‚

Betty Level 8 Apr 12, 2018

Astrology would be a riot if based on moment of conception, just think of it.

I agree. lol ๐Ÿ˜€

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56188
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.