Agnostic.com

5 3

If you’re a closet atheist, why haven’t you made your views known? I’m in the closet myself, because of family members I’m afraid of losing contact with. I’m curious about other folks reasons.

Eazyduzzit 7 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

the more people who support rational thinking and spread the thought , the BETTER. Be BRAVE. If they are your friends they will stay that way

My mother frequently was asking me why I don't like going to church, praying or celebrating holydays by going to church, after a long day discussion about this she understood it why. The weird thing is that she is a really follower of the Roman-Chatholic values and like 1 and a half year ago when the same discussion arosed she told to me that it's my obligation because it is...(rip logic)
My father is not giving a shit about this, is not going to the church or praying, He is a beliver in christian god but he is not a real follower of the values..about the other is their choice if they care or not

Im not into converting anyone or getting converted so its not worth the potential conflict to me.
Everyone knows that I don't go to church, but if the conversation ever goes beyond that, I say I'm into buddhism.

If they do not accept your position on a religion then they are to shallow a person to be concerned about. I have friends and family that know of my views and some will discuss them others will not but neither offends our desire to associate with each other.

My biggest fear is losing some of the time I spend with my grandkids. They are too small to decide on their own, and their parents are very religious. I'm afraid they wouldn't want an atheist grandpa sharing his thoughts with their children. I don't try to influence the grandkids, but I sure don't put any religious thoughts in their heads.

Yes you do need to be considerate.I forgot to include this in my answer. With some people they are just better off noy knowing.

When I was a teen and the subject of religion came up I played the "What If" game. Because it is a game it is non-threatening and if there was pushback I would back off and if it was accepted then I would continue until someone said enough.

That is how the "What If" game started with me and that is how I found out that many of my family and friends were open to doubt. Today, many of them are no-practicing Christians.

I'm not saying I created the doubt just that I can identify those with doubt. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Nov 28, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5619
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.