Agnostic.com

2 3

no snappy words of wisdom

whiskywoman 8 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Strange example: who actually COOKS a Big Mac? Nobody really. Nobody to thank. Just low-wage workers who take pre-made patties in pre-made buns with pre-packaged ingredients...there's nothing REAL about the whole process.
Come to think about it, your example may capture the 'soul' of much of modern corporate America after all.

I truly wish more people understood how government worked. How lobbyists pander. How economics worked.
A recent article came out about a study that was done on the ideology and implementation of the "trickledown" or supply side theory of economics. It found the 40 years or so of practicing this economic principal does not work. I knew this back in the 1990's.
Everyone should be required to take a civics class before they can register to drive a vehicle.
We really do need to get lobbyists out of our government and big money out of government. We need to stop the cycle of years of campaigning. I like what is happening with the Georgia senate race/run off election coming up on January 5th, 2021. 11/3/2020 - 1/5/2021 Intense focus for 3 months and then it's done.
I propose 6 months total election time. 3 months for candidates to declare, advertise, fund raise and then primaries. 3 months for fund raising, advertising then the election - Georgia just proved it can be done.
I would also propose each candidate have equal funding. Set a limit on how much each candidate raise and it is the same for everyone. This would be on the Federal level. States have the right to make their own rules on elections, which is problematic but the Constitution does give broad rights to the states. Of course this funding idea would eventually end up in the Supreme Court but it's worth a shot. Big money is a huge problem with our elections.
Once sworn in NO MORE time can be spent fund raising, just do your fucking job. People can donate when ever they want and if a limit is set as to how much once it is reached no more fund raising.
Sorry for the rant. These group of memes struck a nerve.

Well thought out.
I might add the Fairness Doctrine should be re-instituted to bring ideological balance back to AM radio. It is a far more pernicious influence than most people realize.
They also should spend a few billion dollars on voting machines and polling places, on standardizing absentee ballots, and on online voting, to make the franchise not only universal but also mandatory.

@Storm1752 Thanks for the reminder on the Fairness Doctrine - Yep it's a must do. Don't EVEN get me started on AM radio - YIKES.
I'm in a state that has had all mail in balloting for years. No need to worry about online votes being hacked. No need to worry about hanging chads, not enough machines or if they are secure not secure with or without a paper trail. Even with the ease of mail in balloting many years you see only 55 to 65 percent returned. There is only a couple of counties in WA State where I see consistently high voter returns, like in the 70 to 80+ percentage.
This year galvanized a lot of voters ON BOTH sides but that's a whole nother rant. 🙂

I agree with all and, in addition everyone should take a Government 101 class before they could register to vote. When the Constitution was written things were a lot simpler. The world has changed drastically but our basic system has not kept up.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:563898
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.