Agnostic.com

5 5

POLL Ancient humans may have reached remote Japanese islands deliberately | Science News

"Archaeological sites on six of these isles — part of a 1,200-kilometer-long chain — indicate that migrations to the islands occurred 35,000 to 30,000 years ago, both from the south via Taiwan and from the north via the Japanese island of Kyushu."

What do you think?

Were humans' ocean journeys during the Paleolithic (2.6 million years ago to about 11,700 year ago) made accidentally or intentionally?

• 2 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 18 votes
AnonySchmoose 8 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The intention was to survive but they had no idea where they are leaving for or how long it will take to reach the destination . So it is by accident they found many places. So both accidentally and intentionally.

I agree.

The questions are - Did they head out with sufficient supplies, including mates (for establishing at places of discovery) AND were they able to go home if they so chose?

For decades, I have entertained the conjecture the ancient Egypt was colonized by the Mayans.
[gallions.newham.sch.uk]

Visa-versa, Egypt predates the Mayans......

Do you know of scientific studies which have delved into whether the Egyptians or Mayans visited one another's territories? That is an unusual theory.

@AnonySchmoose The Mayan elders refer to visitors from other continents as their "children".
The question could easily be answered by examining mitochondrial DNA,
[psychologytoday.com]

I live in Belize part time. There is a belief that the Chinese by ship were there before the Vikings arrive on North America. The Chinese visited the Mayans, as they thought they were the only civilization to trade with..

Many presumes that the people who occupied the Caribbean at the time did not 'discover' the land upon which they resided and that there were no explorers prior to Columbus. Recent scholarship challenges this discourse and argues that besides the native people who resided in the islands, Vikings, Africans and the Chinese came to the Caribbean before Columbus.

Yes, I agree it's possible earlier humans discovered the Caribbean.
"Even where land lay beyond view, ancient mariners could have deduced its presence from natural indicators such as cloud formations that tend to gather over islands, mats of drifting land vegetation, and the flight paths of land-roosting seabirds." [discovermagazine.com] ... "Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?"

I am sure many discoveries of new lands were by being lost or by accident. I built a pirate museum in St Petersburg Florida, where Columbus was my Major feature. Along with Sir Francis Drake who was chased all around South America for piratcy. Drake is best known for his circumnavigation of the world in a single expedition, from 1577 to 1580.
From studies, most new land discoveries and migration were by boat, sea and rivers. Only a few big US cities are landlocked

This is pretty clear evidence that by the time frame, it's Entirely probable that our ancient ancestors were capable of oceanic voyages. After all, it was until fairly recently that Anthropologist "bestowed" language upon Neanderthals.🙄🙄

During the ice age, people also traversed the ice sheets and discovered land masses they had not known were there. While some were traveling by ice sheets, others may have followed beside them in boats - I heard in a documentary.

Awesome

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566854
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.