Agnostic.com

10 6

LINK For those interested in the Death with Dignity programs. I am not letting go of this

Barbara Ehrenreich’s new book “Natural Causes: An Epidemic of Wellness, the Certainty of Dying, and Killing Ourselves to Live Longer”. Why I’m Giving Up on Preventative Care; How Contemporary American Medicine is Testing Us to Death. Some important items:
“In the health-conscious mind-set that has prevailed among the world’s affluent people for about four decades now, health is indistinguishable from virtue. A cynic might conclude that preventive medicine exists to transform people into raw material for a profit-hungry medical-industrial complex. The tendency to over-test is amplified when the doctor who recommends the tests has a financial interest in the screening or imaging facility that he or she refers people to.”

JackPedigo 9 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As I've said, people who should die naturally are tortured to "life" by family and/or the "because we can" doctors. If the money is flowing, then all the more reason to "play god."

This woman is medically illiterate. Furthermore, the rape comparison is inaccurate, cheap, and tasteless. She's the last person I'd take any kind of advice from.

When I need to get an xray to try and see if I have a kidney stone, the imaging place where my urologist sends me charges $800 for an xray.

That sounds like borderline medical luddism to me.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I've just had the first of these tests myself and wonder how the doctors will go if I start turning them down in the future. I'm especially not impressed by the idea of mamograms, I'd happily avoid them, they sound awful!

Also I think there are some things in life that we cannot expect to make money, healthcare and social care are 2 of those. If they are profit making we can pretty much expect them to be not serving their purpose somewhere along the line. It's common sense that these things cost money, don't make it.

@girlwithsmiles I think that is a big problem. Too many want a smaller government. One thing about government services is that they are usually non-profit. Privatizing services means higher costs for those involved. Too many health services are failing and looking to merge or turn over operations to religious (especially Catholic) run hospitals. My original posting (and letters to 3 local papers) concerned the influence of Peace Health (a Catholic hospital) on the Death with Dignity program that is legal in Wash. state (and 5 other states as well as Canada).

Everyone longs to live as long as possible so it is easy to be taken in by this type of medicine.. However I will still do the testing as I am not ready to leave life. Until I decide it is to late to do more I will do that which prolongs my life.

Everyone makes their own decisions. The important thing is that as many as possible be informed just what goes behind those decisions. Many on this site and elsewhere are more concerned with quality of life then length.

Great video by Kurzgesagt on Dying and old age. Healthspan is a better indicator than lifespan.

Applications to have children and a massive human rights argument would ensue if our lives were extended indefinitely. But I still don't know how long I'd want to live, would depend on the implications I guess. Would you, 'live forever' @goamerica76 ?

Both of these videos miss a critical point and that is the impact on the natural life support system of a overpopulated, human dominated planet! This issue has been gone over and over throughout this site. Avoidance of death is the driving force behind religion. One of 2 basic drives for all life forms is survival (the other is procreation). My late partner understood the life death connection as a young child and she accepted it. When she was diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 62 she was ready, happy and unafraid. She had had a good life and literally went out with a big smile (she took the Death with Dignity option).

Girlwithsmiles, I would certainly like to try to live forever. Yes, death is a natural part of life and it would certainly revolutionize our society if we were to even extend lifespan out to 150 years on average. I think the implications would be unforeseeable right now. It would affect us in so many ways that we are completely aware of right now. I would like to think we would take better care of our planet. I think we would value life more if we were to live indefinitely. It seems paradoxical that we would care more about life if we lived forever. But think of the tragedy it would become when someone is killed in a senseless shooting or car accident. Right now, if you are in your 60s or 70s then a car accident is not seen as super tragic. If you had another 80 years to live then it would be. Think of the culture you could gain. Learning new languages and instruments. The amount of time you could devote to creation.

JackPedigo, I will admit that extending lifespan indefinitely will come with a huge cost. We would need to reorganize our society. I can admit that we might be overpopulated, but I would pose the question exactly how many is too many people to have on this planet?

The problem with this site is that with so many new people coming on a lot of issues are redone. I got a letter posted in the Humanist Magazine about CRISPR ( [thehumanist.com] )and did a posting several months ago. There was a lot of discussion. One thing I mentioned is that I believe that there could be an infinite number of cognitive life forms (human) that could exist on this planet but not at one time. For some to want to extend their lifespans can mean that some other person will not be able to be created. The inability to appreciate our time on Earth and expect more, I see, as greedy and selfish and, as was quickly mentioned in the video, hubristic. Some of us secularists are no better than our religious counterparts. My letter concerned another issue about this technology and it was added to my posting.

I'm not sure how to answer that. I guess if you don't want to answer or discuss something that you discussed months ago then it's probably okay for you not to. I don't agree with trying to stifle conversation just because I have not read the exact same discussion points that you have. Of course secularist can be just as greedy and selfish as religious people. We have selfish genes and we got to the top of the planet by being ruthless. Have a great day.

@goamerica76 I am not trying to stifle conversation but this one topic has taken a lot of time and energy. I have had numerous postings and comments and all are around the same time as the original posting. Since my late partner died using the program it has become an important issue for me. Look at my original posting at ”Helping those around you deal with a crisis suicide". In one of my comments was my original letter to three of our papers (a shortened version was printed - but it is still long. I will also add the letter that appeared in the "Humanist Magazine" so you can get an idea of some of the dept in this issue.

CRISPR
In his review of A Crack in Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution by Jennifer Doudna and Samuel Sternberg (N/D 2017), reviewer Carl Coon discusses some positive and negative effects of the gene editing technology CRISPR. One thing CRISPR cannot control is human behavior and our impact on the planet. One serious question not asked is: if this technology allows for more humans to lead longer and disease free lives what impact would that have on our numbers and, thereby, our carbon footprint. If rules were set up limiting the progeny of those who would participate in the technology what would that do to the generation spectrum?
To address a past issue (March/April, 2016) of this publication “When the Human in Humanism is not Enough” we need to overcome the serious problem of anthropocentrism? 15,000+ scientists just issued a dire warning about the problems that particular issue is causing.
Jack Pedigo
Lopez Island, WA 98261

The situation is a little different in the UK as we have a National Health service available to everyone free of charge. But I think the attitude of the medical community has become that they want to keep people alive as long as possible, no matter how bad their quality of life. Otherwise they think they have failed. I think we should go back to letting people die with dignity and comfort when their quality of life has become unbearable. We should be able to make our own choices about this, not be dictated to by the medical community, whatever their reasons.

As far as I know in the UK (and certainly not in Ireland) there is no Death with Dignity program. It is about individual choice not medical funding!

@JackPedigo There is no such programme but there are several organisations trying to change the law. I believe the law will change in the next few years to allow terminally ill people to die with assistance, but to extend it further will take a very long time.

@CeliaVL It seems to be taking off even in the U.S. Hawaii just last week legalized the program (the 6th in the U.S) and now NY is looking at it. The biggest problem is lack of knowledge. When my letters went out to 3 of our local papers our pharmacist director thanked me. He said the problem is that so few people even know the program exists.

Testing has saved countless lives. I do agree the professional ordering the testing should not have a financial stake in the cost of the test, of course, that just makes total sense. But a blood test or urinalysis, even Cray, for example, is pretty small potatoes and may save your life! Not to mention the toll dealing with far-advanced disease.

True but it depends on the test and and the prognosis. For many, a long term debilitating disease is not a valid reason for continuing on with one's life. This issue has been a long and ongoing one on this site and a number of us are very interested.

@JackPedigo I had a stroke at 38, and believe me, if I had been unable to see progress, we had a hunter in the family....house full of guns...which I found VERY comforting!

I read that essay, and while Ehrenreich is a fine writer and a good thinker, I hate generalizations. Sometimes we screen too much, and sometimes too little. Be rational, consider all options that you can possibly find out about, have a doctor or two whom you can genuinely trust to care about YOU, and then make reasonable decisions about preventative care and screenings. Definitely worth considering whether your doctor gains financially by screening you more than the recommended amounts. Living is a risky business as it is.

Sooz Level 6 Apr 13, 2018

All about dignity isn't it in the end 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56851
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.