Agnostic.com

2 13

Today's hike to a high meadow

"We should take both snowshoes and micro-spikes," Karen said when we arrived at Squilchuck State Park today. "We will need snowshoes for deeper snow higher up."

"Micro-spikes are easier to carry," I replied, strapping on my snowshoes. "That's true," Karen said. She did the opposite. She wore micro-spikes and carried snowshoes. When the snow got deeper, she switched to snowshoes.

We went straight up. Down below, excited children were sledding. Sounded like kids in a pool: "Wheee! Here I go! Wa-hoooo!" The sound of their voices fell away as we got higher.

Last week's windstorm blew three trees across the trail. It was tricky climbing over fallen trees wearing snowshoes! I figured it out. We climbed up to a beautiful sunny meadow where we ate lunch.

Karen made fabulous, moist, dark chocolate bars with dates, walnuts, coffee and peppermint. Each bite was a taste sensation. It was better than a brownie or fudge. To my chagrin, I dropped two morsels in the snow. Scooped them up. Tasted just as good frozen.

We hiked 6.5 miles with over 1,500 feet of elevation gain (and loss.) A beautiful, sunny day.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are such a fabulous narrator .gorgeous pics as usual

@RoyMillar

Thank you, Roy. Half-Irish, I'm a born storyteller.

@LiterateHiker That you are 🙂

You always have such nice hikes.

@Robert_2001

I have had terrifying hiking experiences, too.

Climbing an extremely steep ridge on elk trails. July 29, 2020

"Where does that trail go?" Karen asked this morning. "Looks like an elk trail," I replied, warily eying the tiny uphill path. I know elk trails. How can a thousand-pound animal go straight up?

"Want to try it?" "Okay, Let's go," I replied, inwardly rolling my eyes. I hate bushwhacking. Give me a regular trail, please.

Up, up we went, with me clawing uphill on hands and feet at times. Dislodge a rock and it bounced rapidly downhill, gaining speed. I stood up and nearly fell down the cliff backwards.

I was reduced to muttering bad words as I struggled uphill. "I heard the F-word," Karen teased me. "That's right," I replied merrily. "And the S-word. It's aimed at this ridge, not you."

Don't Make Me Go Back

"Do you want to go back downhill?" Karen asked. She could see I was scared.

"No, I don't want to descend this bitch of a hill," I replied firmly. "We're halfway up. I'm slower than you. These rocks are unstable. If I step on a rock, it rolls downhill. I'm doing the old rest-step routine." (Step up; gather yourself.) "Good for you!" Karen replied.

"I must be part mountain goat," said Karen, who could magically walk uphill. "Put your feet where I step." That helped for two minutes.

"Do you want to stop for a snack?" Karen asked. "No, if I set down my pack, it will instantly slide downhill," I replied and laughed. "Let's eat at the summit of the ridge in the shade, if we can find it."

After gaining 2,000 feet in elevation in less than a half-mile, we stepped into a hot, dry meadow atop the ridge. Today's high is 101 degrees, increasing to 107 tomorrow.

Descending on much easier trails, Karen and I ran through hot sun and slowed in the shade. It was exhilarating and fun. I love a challenge. I feel proud that we made it.

@LiterateHiker Yes that hike sounds tuff. I hate to hike when it is so warm. It reminds me of my 2 day climbing trip of Mt Deception the 2nd highest peck in the Olympics years ago. We followed a trail for 8 miles and then off trail for another 5 miles. It was steep with thick brush you had to push your way through. Coming back down was no fun either as we traversed steep rocky slopes back to the trail and then ran the last 8 miles back to the car.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:569898
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.