Agnostic.com

1 5

This lighthearted meme actually provides deep insight into why Christianity is often so rife with hypocrites. Through the loophole of repentance to an imaginary deity, it enables the evasion of personal accountability. This came into sharp focus for me with a co-worker who would not infrequently say "un-Christian like" and somewhat bullying things to another co-worker. When I called her on it, she would speak of how she was an imperfect being ("Only God is perfect" ) but "saved". The real tell is that there was no apology to the offended person, ever.

Rossy92 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

the main reason it's full of hypocrites is due to its human composition

So, you don't think there's a good number of 'Christians' who've figured out how to game the system and work that forgiveness thing to their advantage? Live a life of immoral and unethical behavior, so long as you make a deathbed confession?

@p-nullifidian not any more than some other human behavior that misplaces guilt or shame or blame. its not particular to christians, its just a more common form of laying blame other than where it might really belong. people in that world aren't gaming that system as much as they are being gamed by it.

Point taken. But my point was to show how a certain group's actions can so often be at odds with what said group loudly espouses, when the expectation tends to be the opposite. There are reasons on both the macro level (humanness), and the micro level (flawed ethical principles).

@Rossy92 i suppose my point is that hypocrisy is a human characteristic. we've invented all manner of self deceit to point toward others failings when no individual is without them. So trying to portray christians as a more hypocritical lot than others is an act of hypocrisy in itself. its just easier to see perhaps. it seems very important to some here to claim christians are bad people, thereby making themselves appear to be better. a very trumpian behavior.

@hankster You make some valid points, though I would hasten to add that if your going to talk the talk, you should be expected to walk the walk. And who does that sort of talking more than Christians? Not to mention the prevalence of judgementality toward those outside of their clan, and often an arrogant superiority complex which rightfully paints them with a bulls-eye. And how can we devise better ethical systems if we simply throw a blanket of resignation over the issue, that hypocrisy is simply the lot to which we are fated as humans. I do take your point however that all groups should come under scrutiny.

@Rossy92 you're correct that the xtian community should look closer at the incongruities in its words and deeds. Yet i find the characteristics you assign them virtually identical to the way i might describe atheists. arrogant, judgmental, the kind of superiority complex that a 2 year old might display. some might argue that humanity has had a long time to improve these characteristics, some might argue that we're all so arrogant we'll never get it figured out.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:570750
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.