Agnostic.com

2 0

POLL Change Doesn't Happen Overnight, But Research Shows How Social Movements Succeed

"One was kickstarted a school and her placard; another took flight after a hashtag went viral. Years later, these are powerful social movements – demanding action on climate and racial justice ... the US hasn't before seen numbers participating like those we're seeing today. Which has researchers wondering just how 21st-century social movements succeed in creating social change."

Which approaches garner broader social support, spur action, and cause people to join movements?

• 4 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 4 votes
AnonySchmoose 8 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

More often than not it is fear that spurs action, flight or fight is a very strong instinct in humans when the alternate is inevitable death.

I agree that fear is a strong motivator. Thanks for reminding me to include that in the poll.

@AnonySchmoose Maybe a broader restatement of that as "emotions". Just a thought.

It's quite obvious that anger gets people of their ass, complacency keeps most people on it.

@Fred_Snerd
I hadn't considered that reason for people to join a movement and it seems as valid as the others.

@barjoe Do you think both anger and fear together motivate people to get off their asses and join a movement?

@AnonySchmoose Anger. Fear of what caused the anger but basically it's an act of bravery.

@Fred_Snerd Bread and Circuses would be to appease the masses and keep them on their asses.

@AnonySchmoose I think more times than not, what actually moves one to action is a sense of unacceptable indecency occurring.

@Thinking
I agree with that, and the reason a thing is considered indecent needs to be communicated to be understood and accepted by the general community.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:571559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.