Agnostic.com

4 15

"Black people have been cleaning up after violent, white supremacist mobs for generations, and it must stop," Rep. Ayanna Pressley said.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) on Sunday described her terror as she hid during the Capitol attack from a violent insurrectionist mob, as she called on the nation to address the scourge of white supremacy in America.

“As a Black woman, to be barricaded in my office using office furniture and water bottles on the ground in the dark, that terror, those moments of terror, is familiar in a deep and ancestral way for me,” she told CNN’s Jake Tapper on “State of the Union” Sunday, looking back on her experience during the Jan. 6 riot led by supporters of former President Donald Trump, many of whom waved Confederate flags or carried other symbols of white supremacy as they terrorized the occupants of the Capitol.

“One of the images that I’m haunted by is the Black custodial staff cleaning up the mess left by that violent white supremacist mob,” she added. “That is a metaphor for America. We have been cleaning up after violent, white supremacist mobs for generations and it must end.”

But Pressley argued that “if we really believe that this is a moment of reckoning in every way,” then Trump must be held accountable for his actions because “as a country have we been turning the page.”

“Because he is culpable for having incited this insurrection by perpetuating this big lie. This House has twice done its job. He will forever be the twice-impeached president,” she said.

“And now the Senate must honor their oath and impeach” Trump, she continued, calling on senators to convict him and also prevent him from ever holding office again. If Trump is found guilty, the Senate can, under the Constitution, bar him from holding future federal office.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s sad that it’s this way. Blacks shouldn’t always be cleaning up after whites.

The Republican Party is lost. It's just a bunch of Nut Jobs right now with one or 2 exceptions. I can see the Newspaper headlines already. "TRUMP ACQUITTED AGAIN"

Certainly hope they go all the way with the impeachment

Agree

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574967
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.