Agnostic.com

0 1

US Politics - listing of ideas - Murkowski for President in 2024:

This post gets at some of what I was saying in another thread, as to both the pros and cons of consequences for elected officials in how they voted on Impeachment. My own point as to listing her as an idea for Presidential candidates doesn't come from her (I have no idea if she would like to be President) but from me - for two decades, given the obvious intellectual bankruptcy/emergency happening in the Republican party, I have tried to keep a running list of candidates from the Republican side that I'd like to see. This helps me keep the ongoing discussion productive and on-track and helps force me once in awhile to have a de facto response to "ok, so what would a constructive right-of-center response look like in your opinion".

So, as of this moment, Republicans who voted against Impeachment are pretty much not eligible for my list (though that was largely true before the vote) and those who voted for Impeachment and conviction stand out a bit as eligible, though it's very sketchy at this point (I haven't researched any of them thoroughly and am afraid of what I will find when I do).

Congress
Up in '22, Murkowski readies to face impeachment vote fallout
“If I can't say what I believe that our president should stand for, then why should I ask Alaskans to stand with me?” she said.
By BURGESS EVERETT
02/13/2021 05:43 PM EST

[politico.com]

".... She said she’s “sure that there are many Alaskans that are very dissatisfied with my vote, and I'm sure that there are many Alaskans that are proud of my vote.”

"The moderate Republican also voted against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh in 2018, considered convicting Trump in 2020 and bristled at her party’s moves to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court before the November election last fall. Yet since the Jan. 6 invasion of the Capitol by pro-Trump rioters, Murkowski telegraphed her potential conviction vote by imploring Trump to resign.

"As she entered her Capitol hideaway to finish her official statement on her vote to convict Trump, she gestured at where there had been trash and broken glass from rioters that desecrated the building and recalled the sound of a police officer “retching” because he’d been sprayed with pepper spray. She said what made her “soul happy” on Saturday was the memory that Congress finished certifying the election later that day....."

kmaz 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576240