Agnostic.com

5 3

[nationalgeographic.com]

""Toxic ‘Toupee’: Explaining the Most Venomous Caterpillar in the U.S.

The puss caterpillar . . . may look soft, [ but ] their outer comb-over (which some have compared to a toupee or the coif of Donald Trump) hides small, extremely toxic spines that stick in your skin . . . A puss caterpillar sting feels like a bee sting, only worse. The pain immediately and rapidly gets worse after being stung, and can even make your bones hurt . . . ."

Have you ever experienced a pain like this?
( I felt burning pain from a centipede bite. )

AnonySchmoose 8 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a scorpion sting once.

Word Level 8 Mar 2, 2021

Wow!
How was your ability to speak immediately after being stung?

@AnonySchmoose so long ago, I don't remember. I knew it hurt like hell. Maybe minor, had swollen hand a few days.

As a hobbyist beekeeper, I get stung by honeybees on average less than once a year. As a guy who spends a lot of time working in the yard, I run afoul of ground wasps (yellowjackets) about as frequently. The wasp stings are more painful and they last much longer (sometimes slowly fading over the course of a few days), but I don't recall them ever making my bones ache. They are great memory aids: I'm pretty sure I remember every place in my yard that I've ever been stung.

Glad to hear keeping honey bees doesn't mean they sting you more often. Do native bees have enough areas with flowers to pollinate where you are?

@AnonySchmoose That's a very good question--one that I wonder about myself. I am aware that my non-native honey bees must be competing with the local native pollinators, but I don't really know how much stress they put on the system. Partly to allay my guilt a bit, I built a pollinator house to help the natives out. I can say that I see plenty of non-honey bees pollinating my fruit trees and blueberries, I maintain a small section of my yard as a meadow, and my "lawn" is full of things like clover, gill-over-the-ground, and other small forbs that should have pretty wide appeal to pollinators (though most of those plants are probably exotics themselves). I guess I figure that honey bees have been here for hundreds of insect generations, and the natives have probably had time to adjust to their presence. But really, I don't know.

Are there concerns about honey bee/native bee competition in Hawaii?

@Behind-the-dog
Very cute pollinator house!
I think you are doing a good thing. 😄😄😄

"Are there concerns about honey bee/native bee competition in Hawaii?"

These articles say there are both positive and negative concerns:

Positive and Negative Impacts of Non-Native Bee Species around the World
[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Native Bees – What Hawaii and Darwin Can Teach Us!
[adaksoftware.com]

Hawaii's Native Bees - Nalo Meli Maoli
[ctahr.hawaii.edu]

@AnonySchmoose Thank you! That first one, in particular, should keep me busy a while, and perhaps start to fill in some of the gaping holes in my knowledge for here in Massachusetts.

I had a feeding tube inserted during my radiation treatments..it was excruciatingly painful,. I assume like being gut shot...Morphine was the only way to sleep.
I believe this critter lives in the south,never ran into one in 20 years, thankfully.

Sorry, Charlene, that sounds agonizing.
I hope it didn't continue a long time.
Has a poisonous creature caused you pain?

@AnonySchmoose bee string hurt and can kill me, does that count?

@Charlene
A deadly bee sting definitely does count for you much more than for the non-allergic who get stung.

@AnonySchmoose Weird factoid, human tolerance to bee venom actually Decreases with each subsequent sting..

@Charlene
Does that mean each subsequent sting at the same time, or at different times, or both? That IS alarming!

@AnonySchmoose at different times..😳😳😳

Wow

I'll steer clear of that guy. I remember stepping barefoot on a cicada killer wasp, it's wasn't fun. Ouch!

There aren't many creatures that cause pain here.
Centipedes, scorpions, bees, wasps are the only ones I know.
I've never been stung by a bee, wasp or a scorpion.
Centipedes Bites are very painful - more so depending on size.
There are a few very big ones . . . as much as a foot.
They can kill a human. However, not all centipede species bite.
[buzzfeednews.com]

@AnonySchmoose You live in paradise. You've gotta take the good with the bad.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:579681
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.