Agnostic.com

5 4

I know I have posted this query on this site before, but "When did Republicans become such scumbags?"

t1nick 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The introduction of Reagan on the National scene

The 20th Century’s GOP continued that trip in 1952 when they nominated Dwight David Eisenhower for president and Ohio’s Senator Robert A. Taft became cranky.

He and the party’s far right John Birch Society started expelling moderate Republicans. In thhe late 1960s the Party replaced the moderates with the racist Dixiecrats and, later, the unthinkingly obedient evangelicals. Party Chair Lee Atwater introduced some meanness, to which Newt Gingrich contributed.

I remember growing up hearing about the activities of the John Birch Society. As my memory serves. The activity was most pronounced in states like Texas and Oklahoma. There does seem to be vestige still extant today with a couple of our Texas and Oklahoma contingency on this site. I do not know that they identify themselves as such, but their rhetoric is similar.

When Newt Gingrich became speaker of the House in the midterm election during Obama's 1st term.

That's usually the most recent marker that I pinpoint.

When Trog refused to share the meat with the other members of the tribe.

That sounds like a typical Republican.

Scumbags since 1876. Rutherford B Hayes lost the popular vote and electoral vote to Samuel Tilden, but he brokered a deal with Southern Democrats to destroy President Grant's Reconstruction. He stole the election and in return Hayes enabled the enactment of Jim Crow laws mandating segregation in the South.

I remember studying that. The second most despicable action right behind the introduction of slaves into this country. Jim Crow still exists, its called Southern Republicanism.

@t1nick So Jim Crow does not exist. Separate restrooms. Separate water fountains. Blacks not allowed to check into hotels. Black not allowed in restaurants, stores, schools, buses, trains. I saw it when I was little, my parent drove to Florida. Rest stop, three bathrooms, "White Gentlemen" "White Ladies" and shabby door read "Negro Men & Women" True story. I'm my lifetime. That does not exist in the South.

@barjoe In 1947 my father moved the family from Cincinnati OH to St. Petersburg FL and I heard of the mixed race Northern married couple who were touring the South. In St. Pete they were jailed for a while.

@barjoe

Those are the overt symbols of Jim Crow. These overt symbols were more or less eliminated with the two 1964 and 1965 civil rights acts. But the less obvious vestiges of institutional and cultural racism stills exists. Perhaps more in the South and Rust Belt North than anywhere else in the country.

@t1nick Racism. It exists in all 50 states. Eliminating Jim Crow laws did not eliminate racism.

@barjoe

Very true. But I worked in the South, studied in the Central Illinois, and have lived among marginalized communities in the Southwest my entire adult life. There are degrees of racism. Some areas have it more ingrained in their societal cultures than other areas.

It is ingrained in the Southern white cultural more deeply than in other areas IMO. Outside of Skokie and the western Great Lakes states, it was more subtle.
It has manifest itself in disparate local city services between poorer communities and more affluent suburbs, which usually occurred along racial lines..

The Southwest has its Phoenix phenomenon. But most of the white nativitism comes from snowbirds from outside the area.

One phenomenon that has been given limited study is the export of racism after the Civil War. Large numbers of southern men emigrated out of the South to the north and west often the war. The war had destroyed the economics in the South. A massive exodus occurred by white males seeking jobs and opportunities to start over. But they also brought their racism with them and instilled it in the areas the emigrated to. I contend from the research I have seen that a lot of the northern racism was brought there (not all) by this Southern immigration.

@t1nick I'm from Philadelphia. White people here were more racist than in the South. I found that out from southerners who relocated to my city. They are shocked at the overt racism, proclivity to use the "n" word. Frank Rizzo was our mayor growing up, Trump quoted him " If they start looting, we'll start shooting" of course Trump screwed the quote up but he got the rhyme right. Jackie Robinson was treated worse in Philly than any other city. Racism extends to all 50 states.

@barjoe

I know racism is everywhere. I'm sorry to hear the extent in Philly which is one of my favorite cities. But there is a distinction IMO between being pervasively culturally ingrained as a major aspect of the geographical cultural makeup like the South. The society, economy, and cultural of the South was built around racial discrimination. It is inextricably entertwined in the make up of Southern identity.. This is versus pockets of racism by specific communities within in an area.

Do you feel that the racism you experience in the PA area is a pervasive cultural phenomenon that exists throughout the NE, or relegated to pockets.

@barjoe it existed in Eufaula Al when i lived there with first hubby! Separate schools,water fountains,etc etc & George Wallace standing in that school doorway facing Federal troops,, saying "Segregation today, segregation tomorrah, segregation forevah". His brother, the County Judge, signed my divorce papers. The Selma Marches had gone on less than 90 miles away just before i arrived. I lost my Northern accent in about 6 minutes, best believe!

@AnneWimsey Sad thing is, after George Wallace was shot, he moderated his views. He would be considered a liberal by Qanon and the like.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:580422
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.