Agnostic.com

10 22

Made whole wheat oatmeal bread today. Fancy slashing.

Slashing bread dough just before it goes in the oven allows it to rise higher. But it's a gamble. The dough needs to be resilient and bouncy. If not, it could collapse.

All that work and you stab your bread to death. Here goes....

With a wet bread knife, I did a straight slash right down the middle. Zip!

It rose beautifully. What do you think?

Wolfed down two hot pieces right out of the oven. Once the loaves cool, I will cut them in half and freeze.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yummy what else is there to say except you an exceptional cook

Some day you are going to go to your freezer and it will be empty. Someone will have come by and taken all your good stuff. Advertising at its poorest. Trying to make a joke.

As someone who used to own a restaurant and made all our bread, great job!!!!

@Larimar

Thank you, dear!

@LiterateHiker Cooking is science. You pay attention to that....and the results show. It's its own reward.

Good Job.
Apparently slashes on the top of bread loaves break up the gluten structure of the bread just enough to allow them to form better during baking. Too little slashing and the bread rises(grows) in place and crushes the lower bubbles so the texture is uneven and too dense in places. Too deep slashing confuses the structure and again things are uneven.

I recently watched a short lecture series (on a paid service -- 'The Great Courses plus' ) about bread baking. The first presenter was somewhere between a chef and a scientist.
One of his 'experiments' was about bread slashing. He divided a batch of simple white flour yeast dough into four loaves then baked them all at the same time with different amounts of slashing. After baking, he sliced the bread and showed the bubble structures under magnification. The differences were obvious.

I've resolved to play around myself some to learn the best way to slash my bread. It looks like it makes a big difference.

@RichCC

Fascinating. Thank you.

In the lighter slashed areas, I can see gluten strands stretched across the top.

@RichCC

You're right. With this slashing, even the bottom of the bread rose evenly.

Without slashing, the bottom was too dense and compressed.

@LiterateHiker
Thanks. It's not me being right of course. It was the instructor. Ha, ha.

I have to say though, I was planning on taking his word. It was obvious he had an immense experience to draw on.
I loved a comment he made at another point when he was talking about why you don't go without salt: 'If that's what you want, move to Tuscany. They make their bread that way -- but it's an acquired taste.'

He did say to try things and see what works. A lot of the point of his class was to knowing what to look for when you're deciding what to keep.🤔

They look wonderful and delicious!!

They look perfect .

@vegan66

Thank you! Felt like Zorro.

To slash bread dough, use a sharp, wet knife. Hold the knife at a 45-degree angle. Slash about 1/2" deep.

Razor blades dull fast and are easily lost.

@LiterateHiker don’t want to lose razor blades in your bread!!!

@BudFrank

Exactly.

@BudFrank That would keep me out of your freezer.

They look yummy!

Beautiful job

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 13, 2021

@bobwjr

Thank you! Felt like Zorro.

Have you tried with walnuts? I also suggest some cinnamon and/or nutmeg.

@skeptic

Ick. Don't like cinnamon. I can eat a handful of walnuts.

@LiterateHiker Cinnamon is really healthy. Rare to encounter someone who detests cinnamon. Even Seinfeld cited it as delicious, haha

@skeptic70

I used to like cinnamon.

But as I got older, I cannot tolerate spicy food, including cinnamon. It burns mucous membranes in my mouth and throat.

They look great!!

@BudFrank

Thank you. Felt like Zorro. Ya-HA!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582083
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.