Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK Why Did Fort Lauderdale’s Gay Mayor Honor an Anti-LGBTQ Christian Hate Group? | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

The Fort Lauderdale City Commission in Florida has issued a proclamation in honor of a Christian hate group.

Some background is helpful here: D. James Kennedy Ministries (formerly called “Truth in Action” and “Coral Ridge Ministries&rdquo😉 is a hate group.

There was a big kerfuffle a few years ago over whether the Southern Poverty Center was even allowed to use that designation against the organization — the ministry sued SPLC, and SPLC won — but even if that never happened, the distinction would be accurate...

snytiger6 9 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every man has his price.

I was once a member of that church (way, way back in my early 20s) but my membership was more a social vehicle and it was too righteous for me to feel comfortable even then. It's since amassed a huge presence in the area. Even non-members are tied to it as teachers, administrative staff, and vendors, which seems to be how this originated: one of the commissioners is also on the board at Coral Ridge. So, you know, follow the money.

I suspect the mayor wants to maintain a positive stance with those people as well, and is disregarding the moral aspects of his endorsement in light of that. I don't agree with his position, but in a strongly red state, I can understand why he did it.

This title is BS! The City Council did the honoring, duuuuhhhhhhhh

He's probably up for re-election. Rather than fight the hate groups he simply acquiesces to then for political motives. All politicians are hypocrites, gay or straight. Look at Lindsey Graham.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:583245
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.